Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFS Client Changes For Linux 5.15 Bring Connection Sharing, Better Responsiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn't really NFS's fault as I am told the core problem is else where, but I sure wish they would get ID mapping working when you aren't using a domain controller.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

Samba works rather well between linuxes too, supporting unix extensions, btrfs reflink copies, io_uring, encryption, etc.

But i agree with you that it is far to tricky to set up right - for both methods. Not to mention that network browsing is lacking a great deal.
      For Samba, I remember it was well integrated in Nautilus a while back. As easy as it can get. Don't know these days though.
      But the problems with Samba is the naming, it assumes by default you share with Windows and call everything Windows share or file sharing, and I find that really annoying since I don't have Windows on my personal machines. No, I don't want to share files on the "Windows network".

Originally posted by TheMightyBuzzard View Post

Brother, if all your home computers are Linux, I truly don't get the objection to editing two of the most simple conf files on the platform. Especially since search to finalizing setup takes about 15 minutes if you completely can't remember how and stop for a smoke halfway through. I mean, it's not like you're trying to set up sendmail; this is a dirt simple process in the Linux world.
      The problem is the initial setup. When I searched for it the first time, I found many guides, each more complicated than the other for a simple and straightforward file sharing on the same network. I tried to find an app to configure it. Eventually, after hours of trials and errors, I found the one I gave a link to, because it's the easiest to set up that worked for me.
      I'm talking hours versus right clicking and ticking a box. Of course, now that I know it works, it would only take me 10-15 minutes (still way more than a checkbox).

Also, for it to work properly, I had to set fixed IPs for those machines in my router, so that they are never taken by another device (if I fix an IP in NetworkManager and turn off the computer, another device might steal the iP), as IPs need to be defined in fstab. Otherwise it won't mount automatically in Nemo/Nautilus, which is the point in 2020+.

I know my way around (although I'm not a geek), but I'm not sure everyone would go to such extent to share files, especially with tools such as Warpinator that are so much more user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyBuzzard View Post

The bit you left out is the bit that explains it. "with multiple NICs". If a server has multiple NICs, you don't have to pick just one now.
        How do multiple servers enter the picture? What does it mean for them to share connections? Everyone knows what "multiple NICs" means.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
          It isn't really NFS's fault as I am told the core problem is else where, but I sure wish they would get ID mapping working when you aren't using a domain controller.
          Bane of my existence. Closest you can do (afaik) is crush everyone from certain IPs down to a specific user in each of your exports.

No domain controller => no authenticated users => no static mapping like the following in idmapd.conf:

user@remote = localuser

Comment

Working...
          X