More RT Code Out For Review, RT Patches Updated Against Linux 5.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More RT Code Out For Review, RT Patches Updated Against Linux 5.14

Phoronix: More RT Code Out For Review, RT Patches Updated Against Linux 5.14

The real-time (RT) patches for the Linux kernel still appear a ways off from mainline but at least there is movement on this important patch series for embedded and other use-cases needing real-time support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    and some AR64 fixes also incorporated.

Also on Friday a set of 63 patches around the PREEMPT-RT locking infrastructure was posted for review. This represents most of RT's locking code These patches shouldn't affect non-RT
    (should be ARM64; and missing period)

Comment

When can we hope to see the RT patches mainlined?

Do all of the RT patches need to be mainlined at the same time as one big merge? Or would it be possible to merge some patches for one release, then later merge more patches?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        When can we hope to see the RT patches mainlined?

Do all of the RT patches need to be mainlined at the same time as one big merge? Or would it be possible to merge some patches for one release, then later merge more patches?
        All of it? 2022 at the earliest. However, most of it is already mainlined, compared to a couple years ago. Compare the patchset between 4.4 and 5.12, for instance - a reduction of around 200 patches.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/rea...pt_rt_versions

You are correct a lot of it will be brought in to mainline in chunks. The biggest chunks will probably go in now, that is SoftIRQ, RTMutex and printk modifications. After that the changes will be iteratively smaller, and work will be a lot easier I'd say.
        Last edited by wertigon; 31 July 2021, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, Xanmod is doing a RT-kernel.... I'm happy with his CaCule but I guess some of you would like to give it a spin.

xanmod, kernel, linux rt, linux real-time, linux, linux 6.6, linux 6.5, linux 6.4, linux 6.3, linux 6.2, linux 6.1, linux 6.0, linux 5.19, linux 5.18, linux 5.17, linux 5.16, linux 5.15, linux 5.14, linux 5.13, linux 5.12, linux 5.11, linux 5.10, linux 5.9, linux 5.8, linux 5.7, linux 5.6, linux 5.5, linux 5.4, linux 5.3, linux 5.2, linux 5.1, linux 5.0, linux 4.20, linux 4.19, linux 4.18, linux 4.17, linux 4.16, linux 4.15, linux 4.14, linux 4.13, linux 4.12, linux 4.11, linux 4.10, linux 4.9, linux 4.4, custom kernel, debian, ubuntu, desktop, games, workstation, real-time, low-latency, rng, lrng, drng, ule scheduler, task type cpu scheduler, cacule, cacule cpu scheduler, cachy, cachy cpu scheduler, fsgsbase, zfs, zfs on linux, openzfs, bmq, bitmap scheduler, pds, pds-mq, muqss, cfs, skip list, cpu, cpu scheduler, rqshare, priority, deadline, gcc, westwood+, bbr tcp, tcp, cake qdisc, openwrt, bfq, bfq-mq, kyber, aufs, pf-kernel, liquorix, zen-kernel

Cheers

Comment

I just added support for this to my Ubuntu build script if anyone wants to compile 5.14-rc3 rt kernel for themselves on their machines.

EDIT: I made some updates to the script. And added a commit with some instructions on how to get 5.4 LTS, 5.10 LTS, and 5.13 mainline going in different flavors. I'll get a readme going soon but I don't want to waste time editing a readme constantly. But at least this commit message has enough to get going

----

Steps:

1) git clone <this repo>
            2) cd build-ubuntu-kernel
            3) ./build_kernel.sh

I ran the above and can verify it builds and compiles and I booted into and typing from it now:

$ uname -a
            Linux ubuntu 5.14-rc3-051400rc3+customrt-generic #051400rc3+202107311230 SMP PREEMPT_RT Sat Jul 31 08:38:44 PDT 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I wouldn't recommend an -rt or -rc3 (double whammy) for a daily driver, but probably a good way to test both the new RT patches and 5.14-rc3.

AMD users can also pass in AMDGPU_BUILTIN=yes in the beginning for smoother bootup and such. I added support for Polaris, Vega, Navi, Raven, and Renoir out the box. The overhead from the extra blobs should be nonexistant.
            Last edited by perpetually high; 10 November 2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X