Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VirtualBox Shared Folder With Linux 5.14 Will Open New Files Faster, Fixes "git clone"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was stable for me on openSUSE tumbleweed.

Comment

It is stable for me on Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by iDont View Post

Oracle's own guest drivers are promoted by VirtualBox itself but at the same time are not allowed to be used in a commercial environment, so they probably make money with selling a enterprise licence equivalent.
        That is not correct. Vbox host and Vbox guest additions are all GPL, and free to use by all. It is the Vbox extention pack that has a different license, and requires a payed license for commercial use

Comment

Originally posted by Alho View Post

That is not correct. Vbox host and Vbox guest additions are all GPL, and free to use by all. It is the Vbox extention pack that has a different license, and requires a payed license for commercial use
          Good call, I was talking about the Vbox guest additions and I think the person I replied to as well.
          I don't think Oracle provides guest drivers themselves, besides maybe bundled in the guest addition pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4life View Post
            It was stable for me on openSUSE tumbleweed.
            Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
            It is stable for me on Kubuntu.
            Yes, but good luck convincing employers Linux software should be developed on Linux
            If I could do that, I wouldn't need VBox in the first place.

The trouble with diagnosing misbehavior on a Windows host is that you can never tell whether it's VBox itself or some policy the IT guys thought they should enforce on your machine (

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              ...is VBox crashy for other people? Or is it just me? Running on Windows host, it crashes on simple stuff like logging out.
              For me, on various machines, vbox 6.1 is horribly crashy. I've had to use vbox 6.0 for a while now, with much better reliability. Tired of Oracle's nonsense, I've gone to KVM with much success, but VirtualBox is still used from time-to-time.

Comment

Originally posted by iDont View Post

Good call, I was talking about the Vbox guest additions and I think the person I replied to as well.
                I don't think Oracle provides guest drivers themselves, besides maybe bundled in the guest addition pack.
                Oracle does do exactly that, delivering the guest drivers for several OS's in their guest additions iso. Hans took the sources for the Linux guest parts,
                and cleaned them up, and got them included in the Linux kernel. Both drivers should be equal to each other

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  That aside, is VBox crashy for other people? Or is it just me? Running on Windows host, it crashes on simple stuff like logging out.
                  I've had basically zero crashes in about a decade of VBox - UNTIL the current 6.1 branch, at which point guests would crash on suspend.

They rewrote all the sound handling code for that line, but apparently didn't understand that sound devices could be enabled and disabled dynamically, by doing things like plugging in headphones (which also of course caused it to crash). That's finally been resolved now, but yeah: aside from that, crashing has been pretty much non-existent IME.

The VBox forums are very helpful. RTFR(ules), post the logs, and chances are someone will help you figure out what's wrong with your setup. gl.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

I've had basically zero crashes in about a decade of VBox - UNTIL the current 6.1 branch, at which point guests would crash on suspend.

They rewrote all the sound handling code for that line, but apparently didn't understand that sound devices could be enabled and disabled dynamically, by doing things like plugging in headphones (which also of course caused it to crash). That's finally been resolved now, but yeah: aside from that, crashing has been pretty much non-existent IME.

The VBox forums are very helpful. RTFR(ules), post the logs, and chances are someone will help you figure out what's wrong with your setup. gl.
                    I don't even use sound on my VMs (i.e. it's disabled in the configuration). So they probably broke more than just sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Alho View Post

Oracle does do exactly that, delivering the guest drivers for several OS's in their guest additions iso. Hans took the sources for the Linux guest parts,
                      and cleaned them up, and got them included in the Linux kernel. Both drivers should be equal to each other
                      So are there any plans for somehow unifying these? It's a bit weird that distros even ship compatible guest drivers for proprietary VMware (open-vm-tools), but open source Virtualbox requires a separate driver distribution.

Comment

Working...
                      X