OpenZFS 2.0.2 Released With Fixes, Compatibility Against Latest FreeBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.0.2 Released With Fixes, Compatibility Against Latest FreeBSD

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.0.2 Released With Fixes, Compatibility Against Latest FreeBSD

OpenZFS 2.0.2 is out today as the latest version of this open-source ZFS file-system implementation currently supported on Linux and FreeBSD systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What version do you bet Ubuntu will get zfs 2.0? 22.04?

Comment

Originally posted by clintar View Post
      What version do you bet Ubuntu will get zfs 2.0? 22.04?

Comment

and what is that?

Comment

and what is that?
          21.04 is currently on zfs 2.0.1, also here's a list of the versions of zfs in the earlier Ubuntu releases

This is the bzr sync of the upstream git repository. Get packages for Ubuntu at: https://launchpad.net/~zfs-native/
          Last edited by My8th; 02 February 2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

What this means in the greater scope is once FreeBSD 13 lands in a few months you should be able to backup a Ubuntu server to a FreeBSD NAS with just cron and ZFS send. This can replace much more complicated and traditional backup methods (tar, rsync, bacula etc). It's much faster too. A lot of people want diversity in their environment for security reasons, so one Linux vulnerability can't take down their entire infrastructure, and both make really good servers.

You can do it right now but the pool options have to be basic and supported on both and linux has a couple things (like native dataset encryption) that FreeBSD 12 can't do.
            Last edited by k1e0x; 02 February 2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post

21.04 is currently on zfs 2.0.1, also here's a list of the versions of zfs in the earlier Ubuntu releases

https://launchpad.net/zfs/+packages
              But that was just a source package, right?

Comment

But that was just a source package, right?
                I don't know what it is, but I just updated my 21.04 VM and the zfsutils-linux package is still version 0.8.4.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post

I don't know what it is, but I just updated my 21.04 VM and the zfsutils-linux package is still version 0.8.4.
                  you'll need to enable proposed in your 21.04 VM and it'll update the zfsutils-linux package to 2.0+ version

it's still baking
                  Last edited by My8th; 03 February 2021, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
                    you'll need to enable proposed in your 21.04 VM and it'll update the zfsutils-linux package to 2.0+ version
                    it's still baking
                    Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that. It's zfsutils-linux is 2.0.1-1ubuntu2 ATM

Comment

Working...
                    X