Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.10 LTS Will Only Be Maintained Until EOY 2022 Unless More Companies Step Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is going to be an interesting discussion and I'm not talking about just the postings here. In a nut shell I see the Linux community trying to support too many LTS releases. Also six years is too long for most of those releases. Instead I'd rather see 4 years with a new LTS coming out 3 years after the previous one comes out. There is no reason to have dozens of LTS kernels out there. A 4 year lifespan with a new kernel out in 3 years gives users and entire year to transition to a new kerenel.

Admittedly I'm on another trajectory, running Fedora and fairly recent kernels (whatever they ship). As far as long term users, it is likely that the most important thing to them is a well defined schedule. That would take care of much of hand twisting. The nice thing about the 3/4 year cycles is that you only have 2 kernels to support at anyone time. Frankly you can do this with any sort of values for those years. We could have 3.5 & 5 or 2 & 6, year cycles, what ever fits the bill.

Comment

Webster has this definition: "living comparatively recently : now deceased". I'm not at all sure where this usage began but it has been around as long as me. I'm sure there is a good explanation floating about. It certainly doesn't make sense with respect to common usage of "late", but then again common usage changes a lot over time.

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

My friend, just to let you know (and I do understand what you meant), in English the phrase "to my late friend" means "to my dead friend." When we native English speakers refer to someone as "the late Joe Snuffy" we are referring to "the passed away (dead) Joe Snuffy." How that came about, I honestly have no idea - it is an American English idiom. It makes no sense, or about as much sense to a German having to pay more for beer (bier) than a soft drink. But in all fairness, proper English is a second language to me as I grew up in the southeastern US and my native tongue is Southern Redneck. Think of that as Oberpfalz or Rhineland-Pfalz versus high German. pat36 can certainly confirm what I say.

I am sure that tildearrow is very much alive as he posted after you.

But, you did beat him to the correction, which is very impressive as he is very proactive.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Webster has this definition: "living comparatively recently : now deceased". I'm not at all sure where this usage began but it has been around as long as me. I'm sure there is a good explanation floating about. It certainly doesn't make sense with respect to common usage of "late", but then again common usage changes a lot over time.
        Haha...I like that. And it gives rise to another common expression in America (and maybe the UK) describing someone who is never on time: "He (or she) would be late to their own funeral." If they are the "late so-and-so" how can they be late to their won funeral. English is a confusing and bizarre language. Maybe because it is the composite of the Germanic Anglo-Saxon, influenced heavily by the Normandy French, the English dry humor, and the American disregard for formality and embrace of pragmatism. I do not know. But it is a hilarious language that makes no sense and will adopt whatever seems expedient at the moment.

Maybe English is a "rolling distribution" as far as languages are concerned.
        GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

1/3 of this thread is people arguing about grammar and talking about life
          If the guy is earning 10x the average salary and can't handle the job then perhaps he should use that money and hire some help 1 or 2 people and still be better off then 90% of people.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
            1/3 of this thread is people arguing about grammar and talking about life
            If the guy is earning 10x the average salary and can't handle the job then perhaps he should use that money and hire some help 1 or 2 people and still be better off then 90% of people.
            ????

No one said he cannot handle the job. He was asking for help with the project. What is the issue? If he fails to deliver, he is fired. If he is able to generate income to assist on a project that is helpful, and useful, to users, good for him. Are we punishing people for success? I do not think we should do so. A sign of a true leader is the ability to ask for help when something exceeds your capabilities. Is that his situation, I have no idea. Could I be wrong in my assessment - very much so. But that is an assessment of the project - I mean no one asks how much Linus makes - nor should they. Capitalism, skill, capabilities, choice...that is what is important - especially since even though he is getting paid, many people on linux projects are not - they do it as a labor of love. Most of them are highly educated or gifted - if they think he is full of male bovine feces, than the days will be numbered - unless they are clueless single digit IQ individuals. If that is the case, forums like Phoronix will put enough heat on to cause some serious issues, or the incompetence will show.

Remember, people rise to their level of incompetence and stay there. (But, I am not accusing you of incompetence, I am quoting the Peter Principle)

And the 10x the average salary depends on the country you live in and where you live in that country. If it is someplace in the US like the Washington DC area, he might be earing around 1.5 times the salary. If he lives in Afghanistan, he is earing 300x or more of the national salary, National or regional salaries are incredibly localized. I got offered a salary once that was 3/4s of what he is making in a very expensive area. I took a job for half of that and I have 50% more take home pay than the job that offered me over 250K USD. It is relative. Have you priced a hamburger in Kuwait City?
            Last edited by f0rmat; 28 January 2021, 05:16 PM. Reason: Clarity.
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
            X