Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xilinx Publishes An Open-Source AI Engine Kernel Driver For Linux

Phoronix: Xilinx Publishes An Open-Source AI Engine Kernel Driver For Linux

In addition to AMD and Xilinx bringing ROCm to FPGAs, another interesting open-source/Linux milestone for the company being acquired by AMD is their publishing of the AI Engine open-source kernel driver with ambitions for upstreaming it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And so it begins to bear fruit.

Comment

Something really nice would be if AMD would FLOSS the whole xilinx toolset. FLOSS FPGAs would be a dream.

Imagine a FPGA based accelerator card that could simply be flashed to whatever custom silicon circuit your application needs at runtime and then be used.

Comment

*me dream'n*

Comment

I don´t think FPGAs will come to consumer device anytime soon.. Consumer devices are typically built for a specific task.. A FPGA would just increase the cost + drive up power requirements.. It´s pretty cool for tinkering / prototyping and for low volume products and i would love to see an open toolchain as well, but i don´t think we can expect any large FPGAs in consumer products anytime soon..
          I mean look at the shear Chipsize of that Versal FPGA engines for AI, imagine the cost of them! They are like one of the largest GPU Chips we currently have..

Comment

Working...
          X