Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.0's Shiny New Features For Qt Quick 3D

Phoronix: Qt 6.0's Shiny New Features For Qt Quick 3D

One of the areas of the Qt 6.0 toolkit with the greatest number of improvements is on the Qt Quick 3D front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But can it be used inside games?
    Can it be used as the UI for for menus in games?
    Can Qt widgets be rendered to an surface in a 3D game and allow the player to interact with a computer inside the game by walking up to it?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      But can it be used inside games?
      Can it be used as the UI for for menus in games?
      Can Qt widgets be rendered to an surface in a 3D game and allow the player to interact with a computer inside the game by walking up to it?
      I've wondered if it could be used for games.

Comment

Is Quick 3D still GPL and commercial only? All the more recent bits of Qt are GPL only. It's pretty obvious that they want to drive commercial users to the paid offerings. If only the commercial pricing wouldn't be so damn unattractive.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I've wondered if it could be used for games.
          I know it can be used for 2D games since it provides a OpenGL context widget. The game Tibia uses Qt, but it is a 2D game seem to to use some themed Qt widgets and render the game on a OpenGL canvas widget. But I don't know if it works in 3D games with a 3D world and in scenarios where the widgets needs to be rendered inside the OpenGL context.

Comment

I won't be able to ever read Qt news again and not wonder how many priority 1 bugs this introduced ...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I know it can be used for 2D games since it provides a OpenGL context widget. The game Tibia uses Qt, but it is a 2D game seem to to use some themed Qt widgets and render the game on a OpenGL canvas widget. But I don't know if it works in 3D games with a 3D world and in scenarios where the widgets needs to be rendered inside the OpenGL context.
              Ditto. I always see their car and environment demos and can't help but wonder the 3D gaming engine aspect of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                I won't be able to ever read Qt news again and not wonder how many priority 1 bugs this introduced ...
                I agree. Too many shiny new stuff, even more P1 bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                  I won't be able to ever read Qt news again [...]
                  Reading what the "strong GNOME supporter" (anyone can search "strong support for GNOME" in http://www.michaellarabel.com/michael.php) writes in Phoronix as news, you can imagine the impression you are going to get.

Bugs? When something gnomish has them, in Phoronix you see headlines like "Fedora 27 Beta Hit By A Second Delay", a victim, like it was hit by a hurricane. But when Qt is the one that has delays... Larabel writes like if Qt people were incompetents. Did Larabel think that nobody would notice his bias?

When what Larabel programs has... bugs which force people to update the software, instead of writing "bugs" he writes "hiccups" (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...t-Suite-10.0.1). What a source of "news"...
                  Last edited by Nth_man; 04 November 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I think what Larabel writes is pretty good really. Now, that guy that always starts whining and complaining about commercial dual licensing whenever Qt comes up, that's the guy that has issues...

Comment

Working...
                    X