Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.0 Nears Release, OpenZFS 3.0 Could See macOS Support

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.0 Nears Release, OpenZFS 3.0 Could See macOS Support

The virtual OpenZFS Developer Summit got underway on Tuesday with many interesting talks on the open-source work around the ZFS file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any mention about evenly distributing data across an entire pool when you add a new vdev so you can maximize performance?

Comment

Look at those slackers, stopping damn-near every hour to play some BREAKOUT.

Comment

How will I be able to install OpenZFS 2.0on Ubuntu Focal? Will there be a package?

Comment

Originally posted by kwinz View Post
          How will I be able to install OpenZFS 2.0on Ubuntu Focal? Will there be a package?
          It's easy to build for yourself. Down near the bottom they have "make -j1" in the instructions, change that 1 to the number of threads you have.

That said, on Ubuntu and other distributions that ship with ZoL support you shouldn't change ZFS version unless they do. The last thing you want to do is break your root if you're using ZFS on Root like Ubuntu offers.

If you're using it for a non-OS data drive and the OS provided version doesn't matter, go right ahead with building it yourself. Just keep in mind you can lose backwards comparability if you use Zstd or other OpenZFS 2.0/ZFS On Linux 0.85 features on your data drive.
          Last edited by skeevy420; 07 October 2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Question for people who use ZFS in production (work or SOHO) - how close (or far) is a ZFS box (on 10gbe network) with spinning drives + high ram + ssd L2ARC is to having a local ssd drive? Thinking of using it for a bunch of VMs running Windows10/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
              Question for people who use ZFS in production (work or SOHO) - how close (or far) is a ZFS box (on 10gbe network) with spinning drives + high ram + ssd L2ARC is to having a local ssd drive? Thinking of using it for a bunch of VMs running Windows10/Linux.
              I dunno. I run a 4TB mirror paired with 48GB ram for games, music, and movies on two HDDs and I can tell you that it's faster than a single drive regardless of the file system. No SSD attached due to hitting my system's drive limit.

Anecdotal, but most posts I've come across about your setup, HDDs with backing SSD, are about transferring stuff over the network and about how the network speed is the bottleneck so you should be just fine.

This is some decent reading for you.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I dunno. I run a 4TB mirror paired with 48GB ram for games, music, and movies on two HDDs and I can tell you that it's faster than a single drive regardless of the file system. No SSD attached due to hitting my system's drive limit.

Anecdotal, but most posts I've come across about your setup, HDDs with backing SSD, are about transferring stuff over the network and about how the network speed is the bottleneck so you should be just fine.

This is some decent reading for you.
                Thanks, appreciate the link!

You run this as a local drive setup, or ZFS over the network?

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

Thanks, appreciate the link!

You run this as a local drive setup, or ZFS over the network?
                  Local drive. Possibly over the network whenever I upgrade to a new system and turn my current one into a file server.

Comment

Working...
                  X