Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git 2.29-rc0 Released With SHA-256 In Experimental State, Restores Protocol v2 Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
    And, since noone has posted it yet:

I remember actually doing this when I was experimenting with Linux compiling back in 2013 or 2014.

Just clone a software that doesn't exist in my distro, and type some commands to compile it.

If I get errors, just save my project, format the Linux installation, reinstall and try again.

Leave a comment:

• splitcells.net
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I was thinking if it has gotten any more intuitive, like if I need to list tags/branches/remotes, maybe sometimes it is without parameter, maybe sometimes with -l sometimes with -L sometimes with --list. I am so confuse.
    From my experience it is not really a big deal.
    Most of the time I simplify the workflow for each project.
    It leads to a situation where for each project there are the same commands most of the time.

I also add scripts to the PATH, which are really simple to find via tabbing in console, even if I forgot them.
    Example: search commit by message: git log --all --grep=<> vs git.commit.search.by.message <>

I also started to create a project (as many others) that works independently of the concrete VCS:
    GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Not that I have much experience, but the only real problem is that git cannot be used by non developers, imo.

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    And, since noone has posted it yet:

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    Git is the best snapshot-based VCS we have, I use it daily and I love it. But it's not perfect, specially the stupid ways in which merges fail due to the system not being patch-based. I worked a lot with rebase heavy workflows, maintaining a set of patches with varying bases. That's a powerful workflow and doable in git, but not ideal, it fails with conflicts more than you would expect and that adds unnecessary maintenance burden.

One day we'll move on from git just like we moved on from centralized VCS. My hope for the next iteration of VCS is a patch-based distributed system. Currently Pijul seems like the best fitting candidate: https://pijul.org/

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by splitcells.net View Post

>> Has Git gotten any easier to use lately?

What are you searching for?
    What is your problem?

>> Git is so huge that nobody wants to use anything else, but is it the best?

From my perspective:
    You need to learn some basics (what is workspace, index and history) and after that you can find many things pretty easily via https://git-scm.com/doc
    Most of the time you can guess, what needs to be done by stating the abstract solution in terms of the basics and than searching for the concrete commands.

I think that every software that can be used by learning some few basics and using the standard doc has a good starting point.
    That is for me good enough as long the rest is not bad.

The only real negative thing is I have in mind:
    * Some command line options are not intuitive to find. Sometimes a search needs to be done, where I do not find it necessary given a good cli.
    * Problems/no optimial with big binaries or really many files (can be partially solved)
    * Bad or no support for auto push, which is bad for non developers or beginners
    I was thinking if it has gotten any more intuitive, like if I need to list tags/branches/remotes, maybe sometimes it is without parameter, maybe sometimes with -l sometimes with -L sometimes with --list. I am so confuse.

Leave a comment:

• splitcells.net
    replied

No because SVN huge and it was not so good. Then came Git later which was better but not big, but still managed to take over, so Git vs SVN is not a good VHS vs Betamax comparison.
    Is there anything better than Git?
    >> Has Git gotten any easier to use lately?

What are you searching for?
    What is your problem?

>> Git is so huge that nobody wants to use anything else, but is it the best?

From my perspective:
    You need to learn some basics (what is workspace, index and history) and after that you can find many things pretty easily via https://git-scm.com/doc
    Most of the time you can guess, what needs to be done by stating the abstract solution in terms of the basics and than searching for the concrete commands.

I think that every software that can be used by learning some few basics and using the standard doc has a good starting point.
    That is for me good enough as long the rest is not bad.

The only real negative thing is I have in mind:
    * Some command line options are not intuitive to find. Sometimes a search needs to be done, where I do not find it necessary given a good cli.
    * Problems/no optimial with big binaries or really many files (can be partially solved)
    * Bad or no support for auto push, which is bad for non developers or beginners

Leave a comment:

• Mangix
    replied
    A resounding no.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

AFAIK, Mercurial was never even close to starting a VCS war with Git, so the Betamax story doesn't apply there. VHS vs Betamax is more like Git vs SVN.
    No because SVN huge and it was not so good. Then came Git later which was better but not big, but still managed to take over, so Git vs SVN is not a good VHS vs Betamax comparison.
    Is there anything better than Git?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Has Git gotten any easier to use lately?

Is Git like VHS and Mercurial like Betamax?
    Is Mercurial better than Git?

Git is so huge that nobody wants to use anything else, but is it the best?
    Is Git harder than other distributed version control systems?
    AFAIK, Mercurial was never even close to starting a VCS war with Git, so the Betamax story doesn't apply there. VHS vs Betamax is more like Git vs SVN.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Has Git gotten any easier to use lately?

Is Git like VHS and Mercurial like Betamax?
    Is Mercurial better than Git?

Git is so huge that nobody wants to use anything else, but is it the best?
    Is Git harder than other distributed version control systems?
    There's no good enough alternative to git.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X