Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny3
    replied
    I don't need it faster, I need it working.
    On Kubuntu 20.04+ the whole Hibernate menu entry is missing and I tried once to jump through hoops to enable it, but I managed only to get the menu entry showing, but it was not hibernating.
    I guess Ubuntu devs are too busy to change themes and wallpapers on every release instead of fixing important stuff like this.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    My laptop consistently fails to resume after the 2nd suspend since a boot, kernel panics and needs to be rebooted. That's a firmware issue IIRC and has potentially been fixed by the vendor but requires me to install Windows to update the firmware..
    All laptops that officially support Linux being installed either have firmware update by EFI menu from at fat32 formatted usb key or freedos firmware installer or have a Linux firmware installer so no windows should be required. There are quite a few laptops out there that officially support Linux. Yes laptops in every price bracket and quality yes some of those you would buy with windows and convert to Linux. I am sorry I have no mercy for you. You have chosen either not to-do your homework on how to install firmware on that laptop or bought laptop that officially does not support Linux.

Something horrible here I run into windows laptops with odd issues with Windows that turn out to be firmware linked. I recommend people buying even for windows laptops the laptops on the Linux supported list from vendors. It avoids having the custom Windows driver masking over a firmware fault that breaks on a windows update so bricking the device in the field.. Laptop having trouble having Linux installed can fairly much can giving you smoke signal of possible future Windows problems with that laptop.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    Given the speed from cold boot of modern SSDs is hibernate relevant anymore ?

Suspend to RAM yes but hibernate and a tonne of unnecessary SSD writes, no thanks.
    On my 4GB budget laptop hibernate works well. It has an NVMe SSD and with the low RAM it's pretty quick to hibernate and resume. It's not able to suspend/resume reliably at present.

I don't need to hibernate it that often and the SSD has pretty decent endurance AFAIK, so not really that big of a concern with the writes. I can leave it like that for several months and it'll resume fine with plenty of battery not having been charged. But if I suspend that battery drains away, only lasts a few days like that I think (would be longer if it could enter deeper sleep states, but that's budget hardware for you I guess).

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Suspend is completely reliable.
    I have 60 days of uptime on 2 machines (desktop and laptop, running Ubuntu and Manjaro), which means a minimum of 120 suspend/resume (every night) and probably closer to 200 (everytime I go somewhere). 200 times without a single issue.
    Completely reliable for you.

My laptop consistently fails to resume after the 2nd suspend since a boot, kernel panics and needs to be rebooted. That's a firmware issue IIRC and has potentially been fixed by the vendor but requires me to install Windows to update the firmware..

I haven't used many other machines besides my desktop and laptop for past few years, but I know in 2016 with Arch quite a few personal and work systems didn't play well with hibernate or suspend. My desktop I think I last hibernated in 2017 as shutting it down wasn't desirable but I needed to move it to another location. I waited and waited for 10-20 mins or so, pretty sure it had an SSD too, but it wasn't shutting down or triggering a failure to hibernate, I think I just hard powered it off. Then the system wouldn't even power on, needed a new PSU, great timing ha.

Hibernation might be fine now, but not practical as the desktop is presently stuck on 128GB SATA SSD with 4GB SWAP and a similar amount of free disk space left, but 32GB RAM (I'm often in the 16-24GB usage), usual uptime is 2-3 months before I do an update and reboot unless there was a kernel panic or power cut. Both systems run Manjaro, laptop has an NVMe SSD and does hibernate / resume fine, I'm not terribly concerned if that fails and does a fresh boot though like I would be with my desktop.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Suspend to RAM yes but hibernate and a tonne of unnecessary SSD writes, no thanks.
    It's a bigger issue when you have 64 to 128 GB of RAM and run tons of virtual machines / docker containers. Suspending each of them involves lots of snapshots and shuffling of state.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied

Last edited by Slartifartblast; 04 October 2020, 06:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• anarki2
    replied
    I'd be happy with just slow hibernation already lol... never got it to work.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
    It's all I've got 😁

Huh. It's been literal decades since I've had issues with Hibernate on Linux; it's even more reliable than Suspend is. Try it again, you may be surprised.
    Suspend is completely reliable.
    I have 60 days of uptime on 2 machines (desktop and laptop, running Ubuntu and Manjaro), which means a minimum of 120 suspend/resume (every night) and probably closer to 200 (everytime I go somewhere). 200 times without a single issue.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

You only tested against an NVMe SSD? There still might be benefit to those on SATA based SSDs, which not only have the lower ~550MB/s peak sequential I/O but much less I/O threads/depth-queues IIRC. Best case for those at 16GB of RAM would be over 30 seconds? (Maybe less with compression if that's faster to run than directly writing to disk memory pages), presumably that would be a longer process atm, but I haven't hibernated in a long time (I don't particularly trust it after enough bad experiences).
    Yeah, I have a desktop with 16 GB of RAM and the swap partition is on a SATA SSD. I haven't measured, but 30 seconds sounds about right. I'm also wondering whether this change will improve the speed for me.
    Last edited by Guest; 04 October 2020, 04:49 AM. Reason: Clarified SSD connection

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pranav View Post
    Wow.

Does this mean I can simply hibernate without any tweaks/installation in Ubuntu 21.04?
    Well you'll still need a swap file/partition set up. I don't know how distros handle that. I use Arch, BTW, so I set it up manually.

Also there may still be problems with device drivers. For example, I recently found and fixed a bug where my Hawaii card's power management wasn't enabled after hibernate and resume, so there may be gotchas like that for other devices (or worse bugs that crash your system).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X