No announcement yet.

AV2 Is In R&D As The Eventual Successor To The AV1 Video Codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're on AV2 now. I have a R9 3950X and can't even realistically use AV1 yet, but we're on AV2.

Comment

Originally posted by ksec View Post
      if you think paying licensing to work and research done by other companies is unethical
      That's an importand discussion I want to have!

It's not about the money – the customer can afford it, and it's usually well worth it. The license just has to be friendly, and FRAND is far from it: Paying 0.2$ extra for a TV is nothing, but taxing free software the same way is plain destructive for no benefit.

Then, there is collective lock-in: Format war is not a personal choice. An ethical format should be something everyone can use.
      Last edited by andreano; 07 September 2020, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I'm more interested to see FLIF or Daala type codec work: something different to hopefully fix the exponential complexity

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
          We're on AV2 now. I have a R9 3950X and can't even realistically use AV1 yet, but we're on AV2.
          Once a spec is finalized, it can't be modified anymore. So, what do you want all those codec employees to do?

Just get fired? Or they can start working on the next version, for release 5 years from now.

Unless a company is looking to exit the codec game entirely, it's pretty obvious. The next couple of years they'll be doing lots of research, then eventually they'll shift back into looking at what can more realistically be done once it gets closer to release, just like always.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 07 September 2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

But is anyone still working on a proper lapped transforms based codec?

Comment

The roadmap page is already edited, no mention of AV2 remains. The "blank" page is also 404 now.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                probably because they understand some things which you don't understand
                we can end discussions with imbeciles who think patents have something to do with paying for research
                Care to suggest where the funding of leading edge Video Encoding are coming from and their ROI?

Go on, I will wait.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                  I'm more interested to see FLIF or Daala type codec work: something different to hopefully fix the exponential complexity
                  Daala codec is now an abandoned repository, nothing more.
                  Knowledge and ideas from that and Thor codecs converged into AV1.

Comment

Michael, your OP is incorrect. AV1 was ratified in March 2018 not early 2019. It has been out for ~2.5yrs.

Some of you guys are saying that it is slow to encode and decode, it isn't slow to decode. I played a 1080p 6.7mbps AV1 video [SAMPLE] using the latest version of VLC player on windows using a 4yr old dual core intel kaby lake 2.4ghz laptop, it uses just 24% cpu.

One of the big benefits for this will be smartphones. Video uses a lot of your phone's data allowance, reducing the bandwidth will therefore save many users money in their phone contract cost. It will also mean that people can watch 1080p and 4k netflix using slower broadband connections.
                    Last edited by hajj_3; 08 September 2020, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

That's an importand discussion I want to have!

It's not about the money – the customer can afford it, and it's usually well worth it. The license just has to be friendly, and FRAND is far from it: Paying 0.2$ extra for a TV is nothing, but taxing free software the same way is plain destructive for no benefit.

Then, there is collective lock-in: Format war is not a personal choice. An ethical format should be something everyone can use.
                      Yes. Exactly this. From a high level overview, Customer are paying less than a $1 in Retail prices for Hardware Encoder and Decoder Royalty, inclusive of Vendors Gross Margin. For Example; iPhone. I seriously doubt anyone would stop purchasing a Phone because of a dollar difference.

So there is only two ways to go about this. Something like the Open Media Alliance has done, which provide protection, or something like EVC, which uses expired, soon to be expired patents, and techniques from Known patents holder which are given out to codec for free.

I am actually quite excited on EVC, it would be a baseline of hopefully, a patent free and royalty free codec.

Comment

Working...
                      X