Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Reading From /dev/zero With Linux 5.10

Phoronix: Faster Reading From /dev/zero With Linux 5.10

Queued up in char-misc-next ahead of the Linux 5.10 cycle is a speed-up for reading from /dev/zero.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At last, /dev/zero is finally plumbed for reasonable speeds required for a snappy Linux desktop and AAA games in 2020! Long overdue! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      At last, /dev/zero is finally plumbed for reasonable speeds required for a snappy Linux desktop and AAA games in 2020! Long overdue! ;-)
      pv -petrab /dev/zero > /dev/null

gives me 19.0GiB/s - can't complain that is close to the maximum memory throughput for this PC.

Comment

We need a /dev/uzero that doesn't block when the zeros are exhausted.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

gives me 19.0GiB/s - can't complain that is close to the maximum memory throughput for this PC.
          Phoronix will find some obvious ways to improve this long overdue ;-)

Comment

Sense some sarcasm in this discussion so far... but how would this compare to rng-tools for just performance (assuming that entropy is still better with rng-tools...)? Would be nice to have one less package to install with Packer.

Comment

Just mmap() /dev/zero. That's even faster.

Comment

Originally posted by THIRSTY GNOMES View Post
                Sense some sarcasm in this discussion so far... but how would this compare to rng-tools for just performance (assuming that entropy is still better with rng-tools...)? Would be nice to have one less package to install with Packer.
                So much superior geek speak here, that I cannot understand the OP, nor the comments. Is this DEV ZERO the cause of the standard Linux "feature" of waiting 90 seconds for the "disk" to be located? It happens so frequently that most of us hate Linux. There seems to be a bad CFG fault somewhere that no person dares mention. The only way I know to work around it is to re-install the Linux system, on top of itself, without formatting the partition. Crazy error-causing Linux for any person who dares trying multi-booting.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
                  So much superior geek speak here, that I cannot understand the OP, nor the comments. Is this DEV ZERO the cause of the standard Linux "feature" of waiting 90 seconds for the "disk" to be located? It happens so frequently that most of us hate Linux. There seems to be a bad CFG fault somewhere that no person dares mention. The only way I know to work around it is to re-install the Linux system, on top of itself, without formatting the partition. Crazy error-causing Linux for any person who dares trying multi-booting.
                  Sounds like you might be dividing by zero. Don't worry, happens to the best of us sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    I'm getting 6.85GiB/s on DDR3-1600, and 6.14GiB/s on DDR3-1066. Sounds like you must have one of those newfangled DDR4 whizboxes.

Comment

Working...
                    X