Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragon Sends Out Updated NTFS Driver They Want To Mainline For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mishakov View Post
    I have never seen a device which would support exFAT but can't at least read NTFS
    You have not used many Android phones with USB keys then.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
      ???
      What about UDF?
      Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

lack of fsck tools, funky handling if the partition is bigger than 1TB
      UDF is also full of quirks between versions and platforms. It is a mess.

Quoting the following (I recommend reading the whole thing) - https://github.com/JElchison/format-udf

Why?

format-udf was created to address some OS-specific quirks that prevent a naively-formatted UDF device from working across various operating systems. Here are some of the complicating factors, which format-udf aims to abstract away:
      • Different operating systems support different versions of the UDF specification. Some OS versions only offer read-only support.
      • Windows seems to only mount UDF devices if the file system block size matches the device's logical block size
      • Different operating systems (like Windows XP) only attempt mounting UDF file systems with a hard-coded block size
      • Windows does not support hard disks without a partition table. (This is strange because Windows does not apply the same limitation to flash drives.)
      • macOS seems to only mount UDF file systems that utilize the full disk (not just a partition)

At first glance, these constraints appear to be in partial conflict. The solution, as suggested by Pieter, is to place a fake partition table (via MBR) in the first block of the drive, which lists a single entire-disk partition. This works because UDF (perhaps intentionally) doesn't utilize the first block. Unfortunately, there has been no easy way to do this, while juggling all of the other variables (such as device logical block size). format-udf writes such a fake MBR for added compatibility on Windows. If this is not what you desire, you can disable the MBR with -p none.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
        UDF is also full of quirks between versions and platforms. It is a mess.

Quoting the following (I recommend reading the whole thing) - https://github.com/JElchison/format-udf
        First of all, I made my post as an answer to the claim "NTFS was previously the only way to share >4 GB files with Windows".
        And this is not true.

I am using UDF 1.50! formated Flash drives for many years now without any problems. I format them with Windows (/FS:UDF /R:1.50).
        I guess, the problems are mainly historic.

Try it out yourself!

Comment

Working...
        X