Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MuQSS/CK's Con Kolivas Becoming Concerned Over The Increasing Size Of The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MuQSS/CK's Con Kolivas Becoming Concerned Over The Increasing Size Of The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: MuQSS/CK's Con Kolivas Becoming Concerned Over The Increasing Size Of The Linux Kernel

Longtime independent Linux kernel developer Con Kolivas known for his work previously on the BFS scheduler and now the MuQSS scheduler as well as his out-of-tree "-ck" patch set is becoming increasingly concerned over the growing size of the kernel code-base and that ultimately could put an end to his work with a focus on greater desktop interactivity/performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Living out of tree is not easy. Btw. Cgroups fit desktop usage perfectly fine, so it's hard to agree with him.

Comment

Maybe that's a problem for Virtualbox developers too, who have not succeeded yet to support 5.8

Even though I suspect Oracle's lack of will to upstream stuff needed for Virtualbox could be blamed too.
      Hopefully solutions could be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Maybe that's a problem for Virtualbox developers too, who have not succeeded yet to support 5.8

Even though I suspect Oracle's lack of will to upstream stuff needed for Virtualbox could be blamed too.
        kernel 5.8 break up everything vmware, virtualbox nvidia etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

Ok, but I guess there wouldn't be so many breakages if VMWare, Virtualbox, Nvidia and others had more of their stuff upstreamed in the kernel.
          The developers who did those breaking changes woul've seen sooner what their work does for those projects.
          At least that's what I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Running perfectly fine with 5.8.1 and Virtualbox. And Nvidia 450.57.
            A new kernel is almost always an issue, esp. for Nvidia drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

All new kernel releases tend to do that. I am running 5.8.1 with Virtualbox and Nvidia 450.57 just fine.

Comment

Stop kernel development now! :S

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

All new kernel releases tend to do that. I am running 5.8.1 with Virtualbox and Nvidia 450.57 just fine.
                  Tell me about it. As a 7 year ZoL user, I'm used to 3rd party kernel modules not running since the ones I rely on tend to not work on the first few revisions of a kernel release. For me it isn't a big deal since I've learned to always run the latest stable kernel and the latest LTS kernel. If the latest stable has issues I just revert to a perfectly fine LTS kernel where, worst case scenario, I lose a few FPS because using LTS means downgrading the AMDGPU driver.
                  Last edited by skeevy420; 20 August 2020, 08:07 AM. Reason: Just realized that it's been 7 years on ZoL. Thanks ZoL team members.

Comment

I mean, its not like the kernel documentation very clearly states why living out of the mainline tree is a bad and painful life.

Comment

Working...
                    X