The Linux Kernel Begins Preparing Support For SD Express Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    NVDIMMs were to be bassed on Intel's X-Point. Which didn't quite take off as planned, since technically it failed war short of stated goals.
    X-point is still NAND, they still need the controller to emulate byte addressability.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      X-point is still NAND, they still need the controller to emulate byte addressability.
      And it can't serve as RAM cache nor was it offered for that role. You could execute code in it, provided you satisfy some conditions.
      Which is why it is still a niche product.
      And you probably could use ordinary NAND in the much of the same way. IIRC I've seen kernel option for this somewhere under low level drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
        And it can't serve as RAM cache nor was it offered for that role. You could execute code in it,
        that's what the other guy was proposing.

Comment

that's what the other guy was proposing.
          The other guy being me. We are very likely going to see it happen in the mobile phone and tablet market, where makers don't care all that much for keeping traditions up, but rather reduce the power on and off times to give users a better experience.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            The other guy being me. We are very likely going to see it happen in the mobile phone and tablet market, where makers don't care all that much for keeping traditions up, but rather reduce the power on and off times to give users a better experience.
            I was under the impression that the "solution" for mobile was just never power off the device.
            Who reboots their phone regularly?

Comment

I was under the impression that the "solution" for mobile was just never power off the device.
              Who reboots their phone regularly?
              I do. I choose not to be available every time of the day and quite deliberately turn devices off. However, everyone goes to sleep and doesn't use their phone 24/7. When you there can turn it off completely and back on within just a second will it reduce the power need. But it is not just mobile phones. Like I said, tablets, too, but also IoT is coming and getting rid of bootup and shutdown periods is going to make these devices more convenient to use.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                I do. I choose not to be available every time of the day and quite deliberately turn devices off.
                Airplane mode works and it's istantaneous.
                That's how "It Was Meant To Be Used"(tm)

However, everyone goes to sleep and doesn't use their phone 24/7.
                May or may not be a good idea to turn off the phone in such instance, as if friends and family are in trouble at random hours in the night (shit happens at night too, even to adults that aren't out partying) you probably want to be reachable.
                At least I do.

When you there can turn it off completely and back on within just a second will it reduce the power need.
                With airplane mode the main power hogs (modem and apps wakelocking to receive notifications) are not online and therefore not using any power. The device remains in deep sleep mode for much longer between wake ups (main CPU turned off, only auxiliary power management controllers and RAM are active) and with most batteries it can last for up to a week in this state.

But it is not just mobile phones. Like I said, tablets, too,
                Tablets are a niche product, also power budget is a thing and a SSD controller is as big and power hungry as the main SoC so NVDIMM-like technology is a no-go for mobile.

but also IoT is coming and getting rid of bootup and shutdown periods is going to make these devices more convenient to use.
                IoT is always on, with various levels of sleeping to save power, similar to Android devices.
                The same power budget limitation as tablet applies, the SSD controller alone requires more power than the whole IoT device.

Comment

Airplane mode works and it's istantaneous.
                  That's how "It Was Meant To Be Used"(tm)

May or may not be a good idea to turn off the phone in such instance, as if friends and family are in trouble at random hours in the night (shit happens at night too, even to adults that aren't out partying) you probably want to be reachable.
                  At least I do.

With airplane mode the main power hogs (modem and apps wakelocking to receive notifications) are not online and therefore not using any power. The device remains in deep sleep mode for much longer between wake ups (main CPU turned off, only auxiliary power management controllers and RAM are active) and with most batteries it can last for up to a week in this state.

Tablets are a niche product, also power budget is a thing and a SSD controller is as big and power hungry as the main SoC so NVDIMM-like technology is a no-go for mobile.

IoT is always on, with various levels of sleeping to save power, similar to Android devices.
                  The same power budget limitation as tablet applies, the SSD controller alone requires more power than the whole IoT device.
                  That's just you though. Others do turn devices off. Besides, like you say it's "various levels", and it's not much different from suspending to SSD. Once devices can be turned off and on in under 300ms, which feels for most people as immediate, will people want such devices and buy those, and they won't want to wait for 10 or 20 seconds any more. Only because of this wait are many still holding on to the higher power levels, even when devices do practically nothing.

IoT also doesn't need to stay on all the time. We already have wake-on-lan, and this is going to get further pursued with IoT. So when you have a smart washing machine then you don't want those to be on and draw power 24/7. You want to shut down as much as possible and only turn on what is needed. Even a smart fridge should only have the cooling system running, but everything else should be off when it isn't in use. Consumers want energy efficient devices.
                  Last edited by sdack; 27 July 2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X