systemd 246-RC1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    Also there is the problem of recovery of a binary file in emergency situations with failing equipment. Text is much easier to work with. Logs in a binary format can become corrupt and unusable. Even corrupt text is partly recoverable.
    Most fields are formatted as UTF-8 text strings, and in fact you can view damaged (or undamaged) journal file contents using strings(1). So frankly I don't believe the claim that systemd journal files are more susceptible to corruption than plain-text (which is of course also a binary format).

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

There is plenty of features in systemd init that have no comparable equivalents in other init systems and they are heavily used in production. It is frankly not close. As a quick example, dozens of security hardening toggles. Also systemd doesn't have a DNS server. Maybe you are confusing a resolver with a server?
      netstat -plnt | grep 53 .. looks like a server to me.. what do I know? it's claiming the port for a real server.

It's not so much about Linux.. Linux is a lost cause at this point and descending into a Server 2019 clone under the guidance of IBMHat.

It's that OpenRC has comparable features for FreeBSD, it also has the right licence and scope.
      Last edited by k1e0x; 09 July 2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment

It's not so much about Linux..

It's that OpenRC has comparable features for FreeBSD, it also has the right licence and scope.
        OP clearly wasn't talking about FreeBSD since he made the comparison to systemd explicitly. However if you are talking about openrc on freebsd, that's fairly off-topic but also previous attempts to propose just that have failed

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...er/053740.html

I haven't read about anything more recent happening in that space

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          Most fields are formatted as UTF-8 text strings, and in fact you can view damaged (or undamaged) journal file contents using strings(1). So frankly I don't believe the claim that systemd journal files are more susceptible to corruption than plain-text (which is of course also a binary format).
          Encoding is the first thing that you look into when you are designing a protocol, for example, to transmit data, and its not by chance, but by necessity.

What makes me wondering is why you can't see it?
          When you write systemd logs or any information to a file, in binary format you right structures or objects( in this case, log objects, with a certain pre-accorded protocol ), and those objects have certain characteristics..

Obviously if corruption occurs you are unable to retrieve those objects, since they are corrupt, after that point doesn't matter what those objects hold inside..since you can't get them back( as they are not the original information written..).

Maybe you can' t see it, but its the plain truth..
          Text files use a simple encoding system, that is very efficient, and they are not object structures..

This problem( while very rare in Aix, thanks god.. ) sometimes happens with the ODM database,
          And I can tell you that is a PITA to get your configuration back, correctly.
          Last edited by tuxd3v; 09 July 2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

OP clearly wasn't talking about FreeBSD since he made the comparison to systemd explicitly. However if you are talking about openrc on freebsd, that's fairly off-topic but also previous attempts to propose just that have failed

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...er/053740.html

I haven't read about anything more recent happening in that space
            Yeah, they move very slowly and carefully. It's ok, it's a good thing to be quite careful. A lot of people are interested in and it's being discussed. They need an architectural plan. FreeBSD isn't a distro so they don't just throw stuff in. (although there are distros of FreeBSD with OpenRC now so testing is being done there)
            Last edited by k1e0x; 09 July 2020, 04:36 PM.

Comment

It's not so much about Linux.. Linux is a lost cause at this point and descending into a Server 2019 clone under the guidance of IBMHat.

Linux eats this crap for breakfast. Freebsd sucks and has shitty license. It's meaningless OS.

Comment

Yeah, they move very slowly and carefully. It's ok, it's a good thing to be quite careful. A lot of people are interested in and it's being discussed. They need an architectural plan. FreeBSD isn't a distro so they don't just throw stuff in. (although there are distros of FreeBSD with OpenRC now so testing is being done there)
                They don't have resources and nobody cares about this legacy OS. They're just copying and leeching from others: KDE, Gnome, ZFS, OpenRC, Linux graphic drivers etc. There's also no single Freebsd in SAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

They don't have resources and nobody cares about this legacy OS. They're just copying and leeching from others: KDE, Gnome, ZFS, OpenRC, Linux graphic drivers etc. There's also no single Freebsd in SAP.
                  That's probably why every large cloud provider has images and support for it. heh

It gets used for servers a lot more often in industry than you may think.. It doesn't get the hype tho because it's focus isn't on being a desktop.. I see you mentioned a lot of desktop stuff there. Have you looked at kqueue or blacklistd or pf or jails.. they are superior to Linux equivalents.

Comment

netstat -plnt | grep 53 .. looks like a server to me.. what do I know? it's claiming the port for a real server.
                    Err no, plenty of things including resolvers and caching clients can listen to the port. That doesn't make them a server. There is no DNS server in systemd. That's just a basic fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                      There's also no single Freebsd in SAP.
                      Well that's bad for SAP itself..
                      But if they need a hand( a paid hand of course, no free lunch's to SAP.. ),
                      Maybe they can find someone to port the installer, and create the necessary daemons..

Comment

Working...
                      X