Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dav1d 0.7.1 AV1 Decoder Boosts 32-bit Arm Performance By ~28%

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Regarding NDI, I wonder if there is any open source support for svc (scalable video coding, or adaptative video bitrate, if you prefer)? I don't know whether this is used in NDI, but here is my wishlist:
    • A SVC-comaptible container format
    • A SCV-compatible VP9/x264/AV1 encoder
    • A compatible decoder
    My use-case is for platforms like Peertube. If you know of any usable open-source library, please let me know. I found a few svc references in the libaom code (maybe in the release notes as well?) But I'm not sure it can be actually stored on-disk in one file, and if dav1d is capable of decoding it?
    libvpx can do SVC (we use it for WebRTC). libaom can probably do SVC too. No idea about containers though as I work with RTP.
    x264 cannot do SVC.

    Most software decoders should support it just fine as long as you provide all the referenced frames adequately. HW decoders may work or not, so beware.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      What about ARM64? Although there's absolutely nothing wrong with the optimizations made, 32-bit ARM is now a dying breed. I figure any future 32-bit ARM CPUs are going to be primarily stuff like the Cortex-M series, which aren't really built to handle a full-blown OS.
      What about? Already mentioned a number of times. 32-bit ARM is far from dead. 32-bit X86 will die off sooner.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by brad0 View Post
        The "newest" of CPUs from AMD that would utilize an SSE2 codepath is almost 9 years old. Who the hell is going to have a system that old still running even for testing purposes?
        Not exactly. dav1d's AVX optimizations are AVX2/AVX-512 only (https://code.videolan.org/videolan/d...ob/master/NEWS).

        Which makes Steamroller (from 2014) the oldest AMD CPU supporting this code path. And in fact I do have a SSE2-capable Pentium 4 system, for testing purposes.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by schwarzygesetzlos View Post
          Not exactly. dav1d's AVX optimizations are AVX2/AVX-512 only (https://code.videolan.org/videolan/d...ob/master/NEWS).

          Which makes Steamroller (from 2014) the oldest AMD CPU supporting this code path. And in fact I do have a SSE2-capable Pentium 4 system, for testing purposes.
          dav1d doesn't support just AVX optimizations.

          Comment


          • #15
            True. I obviously must have found out by reading the link I posted myself. Just thought you were refering specifically to AVX.

            Comment


            • #16
              What about x86_64? Already well optimized.

              And what about ARM64? Same.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by schwarzygesetzlos View Post
                True. I obviously must have found out by reading the link I posted myself. Just thought you were refering specifically to AVX.
                No, SSE2.

                dav1d has a decent amount of SSSE3 codepaths but older AMD processors before Zen did not support SSSE3. So that leaves the little bits of SSE4.1 and SSE2 for the older processors. I'm sure over time people will contribute more SSE4.1 / SSE2 for older processors, but not with the same level of dedication or pace.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Orphis View Post
                  libvpx can do SVC (we use it for WebRTC). libaom can probably do SVC too. No idea about containers though as I work with RTP.
                  x264 cannot do SVC.
                  libaom 2.0.0 has support for SVC. AFAIK one of the big pushes for 2.0.0 was for WebRTC. Google Duo is using AV1.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by brad0 View Post

                    The "newest" of CPUs from AMD that would utilize an SSE2 codepath is almost 9 years old. Who the hell is going to have a system that old still running even for testing purposes?
                    Who the hell is talking about AMD?
                    Most readers know my (Mesa) development system.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                      Who the hell is talking about AMD?
                      Most readers know my (Mesa) development system.
                      There isn't as much interest in older SSE on the Intel side of things as their older processors support SSSE3. Duh.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X