No announcement yet.

EXT4 Gets A Nice Batch Of Fixes For Linux 5.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But who cares about ext4 if btrfs and zfs exist?

Comment

Originally posted by kloczek View Post
      it is faster and simpler...

Comment

Ouch

(Sorry, I face-palmed so hard at such a shockingly-naive and glaringly-uninformed comment I think it left a mark)

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
          Ouch

(Sorry, I face-palmed so hard at such a shockingly-naive and glaringly-uninformed comment I think it left a mark)
          Using today any fs which is not COW and snapshotable is kind anachronism.

Comment

Using today any fs which is not COW and snapshottable is kind anachronism.
            But it works for literally billions of devices and installations that don't need those. Not everything is desktop.

Comment

Using today any fs which is not COW and snapshotable is kind anachronism.
              Call me old school, but I have my own backup methods. For my use case, I'll take the performance of ext4 over the fancy features of btrfs and zfs.

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
                But it works for literally billions of devices and installations that don't need those. Not everything is desktop.
                I'm genuinely interested to hear why I'd want ZFS-likes on a desktop? What does it give me?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

it is faster and simpler...
                  Try to compare size of the code. ext4/ext2 it is about 2MB odf the code. ZFS it is about 5MB.
                  However in case of the ext you need to add another 2MB of the code which is shared with other file systems and is not shared with ZFS.
                  With that ZFS provides magnitude more functionalities. Part of the ZFS code is for example shadowfs which allows hardware upgrade (moving from old set of devices to brand new) like petabytes pool in matter of the seconds In other words almost the same size of the source and machine code provides functionalities which you've never seen on Linux.

You may be thinking that zfs is more complicated or not needed but it is only impression because probably you've never been using ZFS.
                  I'm using it more than 15 years (since first Sol 10).
                  ZFS ARC allows cache in memory compressed ZFS records. With that you physical memory may be working like way bigger physical memory because it can hold in memory actual cached data multiplied by avg compression ratio (for example typical mysql data compress 2-4x even with gzip-1).

Really try to use ZFS at least one time.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Call me old school, but I have my own backup methods. For my use case, I'll take the performance of ext4 over the fancy features of btrfs and zfs.
                    Call me the same. I'm using ZFS from more than 15 years.
                    How long you are using Linux? (I'm using it since 1991)

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

I'm genuinely interested to hear why I'd want ZFS-likes on a desktop? What does it give me?
                      Small example. If your home directory is on separated zfs volume (which is normal) you can delegate from root operations like creating sub volumes, snapshots. You don;t need to switch to root to snapshot your home directory. One command you can enable autoshaphot you home directory every minute and keep last half hour snapshots?
                      How many times you've deleted accidentally something in your project and was not able to restore that? With zfs all what will be necessary to do will be "cd ~/.zfs/shanpshots/autosnaphot-<date>" and copy from last shapshot what you've just deleted.

Using btrfs you have something like this using snapper but is crazy complicated
                      You may need data protection but you have just one device. With ZFS you can do "zfs set copies=N </vol>" (where N is 2 to 128) to have data protection on single device. so even when you single disk will partially fail you will ha=ve greater chance to restore all data.

ZFS provides data integrity by storing all data and metadata checksums. Wit RAID it wi possible to find for example which part of the RAID1 is correct and which is corrupted.

ZFS does not need fsck. How many times after reboot you been waiting more than hour until fsck your ext/xfs volume to finish?

How many time s you've been in need to increase disk space by add another device? With pooled storage adding new disk to pool takes few seconds. Not backups. No copy. No reorganising MD/LVM. No restore.

Above is still not even 10% of things which is not possible to do with ext/xfs.

Comment

Working...
                      X