Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Scheduler Optimizations Land In Linux 5.8

Phoronix: More Scheduler Optimizations Land In Linux 5.8

As part of the many areas of the kernel managed by Ingo Molnar, on Tuesday he submitted the pull request with all of the scheduler code updates for Linux 5.8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really like articles related to process and I/O scheduling, filesystems, inner workings of things etc. Makes me relax especially after grub failed med for the gazillion'th time

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
      I really like articles related to process and I/O scheduling, filesystems, inner workings of things etc.
      I always read as much of the notes as I can with these sorts of patches. Usually I have no idea what they're talking about. It's still exciting to see them make the system better in a hundred different places and options. Makes me wonder how much improvement there is and in what places (performance, latency, power-efficiency, stability).

Comment

compared to windows 10 cpu scheduling how good linux is ?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
          Is there a way to tell the Linux kernel scheduler which CPU core has the highest frequency on modern CPUs such as Ryzen 3000?
          CPPC2 is supposed to handle this, and indeed is used on Windows for this purpose, however is there a Linux scheduler that takes this information into account?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
            compared to windows 10 cpu scheduling how good linux is ?
            Difficult to answer - it all depends on what you need. Throughput or interactivity. For regular use you would in practice not notice much of a difference unless your system is really heavily loaded in which case Linux really shows it strength.

But generally speaking Windows process scheduling design (the last time I checked) is in principle more limited, "dumber" and has not changed that much over the years. The improvements is basically (like most Windows things) just bolted on. I suggest you have a look at this:

The system scheduler controls multitasking by determining which of the competing threads receives the next processor time slice. The scheduler determines which thread runs next using scheduling priorities.

Besides you can have the most efficient scheduler in the world and it would not help you much if the memory management (and in particular swap mechanism) is about as brain dead as the average systemd discussion on phoronix.

The proper answer to this is that both approaches has advantages and disadvantages. Michael should run some of his benchmarks on some systems with limited RAM and compare both Windows and Linux - I would expect our favorite penguin to take the lead.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
            X