Thanks Oracle! New Patches Pending Can Reduce Linux Boot Times Up To ~49%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Who is more evil? The person that does a good work in the present despite their history of doing ill? Or the person that refuses to acknowledge a good work because of a prejudice (regardless of justification) against the first.

Hint: It's the second.

If a group or individual never gets any gratitude even if they do something good, regardless of motivation, they're unlikely to ever change and may become even worse because there's no benefit in being good. On the other hand, if a person is refusing to acknowledge a good job just because the other person has done things bad in the past, that person is no better, and likely is going to make the situation worse than it was before.

Thank you, Oracle. Unlike many people, I realize corporations usually aren't a monolithic entity. I also realize that corporations have interests rather than morals. Even so, to the individuals and team that contributed this patch set, thank you.
    They're still doing ill in the present; Oracle has a case in the supreme court RIGHT NOW that will be ruled on in June and if they win that case it will effectively kill many open source projects. In software, developers very frequently will make a new compatibility layer or implementation that is compliant with an existing API but Oracle is currently appealing to the supreme court that the practice should end. This puts the very existence of open source projects like WINE in jeopardy.

Comment

Originally posted by p91paul View Post
      CCDL is instead a very different beast. It's still an open source license, but it is believed to be incompatible with the GPL.
      CDDL is incompatible with GPL by design.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
        My X470 Ryzen 1700 builds firmware always inits twice for whatever reason, thus the whole system takes longer to boot than my ten year old previous PC. Not that it really hurts as I boot it typically just once a day, but still..
        Twice? Wow...

Sounds like some kind of quantum electron anomaly. Have you checked the graviton matrices?

Comment

Originally posted by dibal View Post
          Especially linux machines with lots of (multipathed) disks takes a long time to boot. And typically DB-Servers have lots of disks.
          Yeah, and how often do you think they need to be booted up? Database servers are never powered down, they do everything they can to make sure it doesn't go down, that's why they have redundancy built into them at every level.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post

They're still doing ill in the present; Oracle has a case in the supreme court RIGHT NOW that will be ruled on in June and if they win that case it will effectively kill many open source projects. In software, developers very frequently will make a new compatibility layer or implementation that is compliant with an existing API but Oracle is currently appealing to the supreme court that the practice should end. This puts the very existence of open source projects like WINE in jeopardy.
            Good, most open source projects should die off, including Gnome, KDE, XFCE, WINE, hell the Linux kernel; we should just have BSD based open source OSes or at the very least anything released under an MIT style license. Fuck the GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

Yeah, and how often do you think they need to be booted up? Database servers are never powered down, they do everything they can to make sure it doesn't go down, that's why they have redundancy built into them at every level.
              In the past long uptimes were regarded as a sign of good stability and machines reached uptimes measured in years. These days we all care more for security so you tend to reboot your nodes at your likes. This assumes you have redundancy and are not taking down the service while doing a reboot. Our static corporate Elasticsearch and MySQL nodes are rebooted about around once per month.

Then there is VMs and containers. You'll need those to be able to be fired up in short amounts of time, depending on load.

So that's not like rebooting your iron every hour or every day, but you'll see the point.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Why does Phoronix thank the evil?
                With an attitude like yours ... I suppose you would cheer a 49 percent increase in boot time.

Comment

You see, we don't hate Oracle, we just want to burn it down while Larry is inside of it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

With an attitude like yours ... I suppose you would cheer a 49 percent increase in boot time.
                    I would not do that o-o

What I mean is that when Google (another evil company) brought support for the Magic Trackpad to Linux, Phoronix thanked them in the headline as well...

...which kinda makes me feel that Phoronix supports Google, Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, Facebook, and so on..

Comment

Originally posted by p91paul View Post

I think you missed the point. These patches are released under the GPL, and so Oracle cannot sue anyone as long as they comply with the GPL. In particular, distribution of these patches with the Linux kernel under GPL v2 is of course fine, and Oracle cannot change that in the future.

CCDL is instead a very different beast. It's still an open source license, but it is believed to be incompatible with the GPL. Hence you cannot distribute Linux and OpenZFS together, or you'll be violating either Oracle's or Linux's copyright depending on the license you choose. Not everybody agrees on this however.

Users should be fine however, since the GPL has no requirements for the mere use of the software. Legal issues over CCDL are for distributors only, but they exist.

This is why comparing this with OpenZFS is nonsense.
                      CDDL vs GPL is not really what I was talking about and Canonical is shipping OpenZFS in their isos anyway so who cares. I was talking specifically about morons who don't know what they are talking about claiming Oracle controls OpenZFS and a bunch of other false and/or misleading garbage.

Comment

Working...
                      X