F2FS Introduces Zstd Compression Support With The Linux 5.7 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Introduces Zstd Compression Support With The Linux 5.7 Kernel

Phoronix: F2FS Introduces Zstd Compression Support With The Linux 5.7 Kernel

The Flash-Friendly File-System (F2FS) updates have been sent in for the very active Linux 5.7 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux -- Where they keep adding stuff you want and use to stuff you don't use
    (doesn't it feel like that some days )

It's not that I'm not appreciative, but that I primarily use BTRFS, XFS, or EXT4
    (and wish IBM Hat would hurry TF on up with Stratis' advanced features)

F2FS is too bleeding edge for me to consider just yet...BTRFS taught me not to trust or really, really use file systems or their new features until a few releases have past. Now when 5.10 or 5.11 come around it's all (hopefully )

Comment

To quote Wikipedia:

"Motorola Mobility has used F2FS in their Moto G/E/X and Droid phones since 2012. Google first used F2FS in their Nexus 9 in 2014.[15] However Google's other products didn't adopt F2FS until the Pixel 3 when F2FS was updated with inline crypto hardware support.[16]

Huawei has used F2FS since the Huawei P9 in 2016.[17][18] OnePlus has used F2FS since the OnePlus 3T in 2016"

calling an 8 year old (not counting Samsungs internal use) FS "too bleeding edge" sound a bit weird to me.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It's not that I'm not appreciative, but that I primarily use BTRFS, XFS, or EXT4

F2FS is too bleeding edge for me to consider just yet...BTRFS taught me not to trust or really, really use file systems or their new features until a few releases have past. Now when 5.10 or 5.11 come around it's all (hopefully )
        I used F2FS for months last year on my gentoo system. Everything worked perfectly!

Comment

F2FS is too bleeding edge for me to consider just yet...
          btrfs stabilized their on-disk format in 2013, while in 2012 F2FS was already deployed in smartphones.
          Maybe you want to redact the statement to "this feature is too bleeding edge", or "F2FS compression is too bleeding edge" (it was added december 2019).

That said, as long as you are on x86 or ARM it's OK (as that's what they are targeting), for other archs (not tested by corporate overlords) it has been a dumpster fire so far.

Not saying btrfs is better for other archs because quite frankly I'm not running btrfs drives on a shitty Power/MIPS/other network router processor anyway, maybe it has the same issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

I used F2FS for months last year on my gentoo system. Everything worked perfectly!
            That's good to know. It worked fine as the root for Manjaro on a USB thumbstick last I ran it in January for a couple weeks.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            btrfs stabilized their on-disk format in 2013, while in 2012 F2FS was already deployed in smartphones.
            Maybe you want to redact the statement to "this feature is too bleeding edge", or "F2FS compression is too bleeding edge" (it was added december 2019).

That said, as long as you are on x86 or ARM it's OK (as that's what they are targeting), for other archs (not tested by corporate overlords) it has been a dumpster fire so far.

Not saying btrfs is better for other archs because quite frankly I'm not running btrfs drives on a shitty Power/MIPS/other network router processor anyway, maybe it has the same issues.
            Nah. I'd still wait a point release or two before using F2FS+Zstd on anything I'd consider critical. While I'm sure it works just fine, BTRFS, and other file systems, gettting random new feature hiccups over the years has taught me to play it safe and to wait a bit to see if anyone else's system became a garbage fire upon new file system features coming out. Just learned to play it safe in regards to new file system features. Note that I'm not trying to single out any actual file system because shit happens.

discordian

Android's 99.999% of the time read-only root using F2FS for /system with minimal features in use is not the same thing as using it on an active read-write directory like /var or /home with all the newer features in use. I used it with my phones back then. Doesn't mean that 6 or 7 years later I'd use a new feature on day one on something critical.

Y'all Android has F2FS folks might as well be saying "But ZFS has been used in lots of places for 10+ years in Linux-based and Linux-like environments and it's perfectly fine to use".

EDIT: Full disclosure -- I'm remembering my own crappy ass phones that only allowed F2FS on /system and forced either ext4 or FAT-something-or-other on everything else.
            Last edited by skeevy420; 07 April 2020, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Nah. I'd still wait a point release or two before using F2FS+Zstd on anything I'd consider critical. While I'm sure it works just fine, BTRFS, and other file systems, gettting random new feature hiccups over the years has taught me to play it safe and to wait a bit to see if anyone else's system became a garbage fire upon new file system features coming out. Just learned to play it safe in regards to new file system features. Note that I'm not trying to single out any actual file system because shit happens.
              I totally agree with you. I myself was bitten by EXT4 FS corruption bugs twice. Luckily just on a development box, not on a production/dogfood system.

Leave the early adopting to the people who get a kick out of early adopting. That used to be me, lol, but now I prefer a low-drama work environment ;-)

Comment

Nah. I'd still wait a point release or two before using F2FS+Zstd on anything I'd consider critical.
                Yeah, that's a good idea.

I was just reacting to the claim that F2FS as a whole is "bleeding edge". It isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Yeah, that's a good idea.

I was just reacting to the claim that F2FS as a whole is "bleeding edge". It isn't.
                  Oh no, I just meant the new bleeding edge features.

I treat all new file system features like there be dragons anymore. I suppose that's the difference between 20's me and 30's me.

Comment

F2FS is a damn good filesystem. I use it on my SSDs. It offers great performance and automatic trim.

Comment

Working...
                    X