GNU Assembler Adds New Options For Mitigating Load Value Injection Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
    Moore's law isn't about performance, it's about doubling transistor count in the same area. The performance increase was just a side effect. You can start treating it as such.
    Moore's law was related to transistor count, but the consuming public and tech media interpreted it as a performance metric for nearly the entire time of its existence. My comment was clearly about public expectation, not about the literal mathematical definition of the phrase. Context matters.

Comment

Are Intel CPUs more buggy than AMD ones? Is this bug available in AMD hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I think the hubris here is in the form of "You can't hack CPUs" - with that mindset the engineers developed the uArch. Attitudes changed over time, but developing a new uArch is a multi year, multi billion effort of which I am sure that Intel is currently in the midst of.
        I agree. Adding to what you said.

Features - Time - Cost are linked variables that can be used to balance many types of projects including micro-architecture design/production.

Some of the top engineers believe it is in the best interest to redesign regardless of the multi-year multi-billion cost.

Off topic: Just because the full discussion of the previous link is so awesome taking apart assumptions (I'm really bad at that)

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I agree. Adding to what you said.

Features - Time - Cost are linked variables that can be used to balance many types of projects including micro-architecture design/production.

Some of the top engineers believe it is in the best interest to redesign regardless of the multi-year multi-billion cost.

Off topic: Just because the full discussion of the previous link is so awesome taking apart assumptions (I'm really bad at that)
          Thanks for that video, I'll be watching it later.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            ...this is a never ending story. I would like to know which of this corporate cheapskates are responsible for this "performance over security" paradigm...just imagine for a second if this would be some diesel powered car.
            Most companies in general only go far enough for security to the point that people are either unaware of the dangers or it appeases the common masses. That's generally why whenever serious vulnerabilities are revealed, they essentially "campaign" for them, coming up with catchy names like "Heartbleed" for example, so companies are basically forced into getting them fixed.

Comment

Working...
            X