Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Of Clear Linux's Kernel Patches To Help With Boot Time Proposed For Upstreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to move just FB_I810 and FB_INTEL, not sure how useful it is for systems not using any of them.

Comment

ATA init is the long pole
      How is ATA like a pole?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        If you want faster boot times just get rid of the fat. Use pure openRC or runit or S6 with gentoo or Artix or Void. systemd and sysvinit are where your fat lies.
        Ladies and gentlemen, we have a worthy successor of the missed debianxfce!

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Isn't this done for all ATA drives, including SATA?
          I doubt it, SATA is more akin to SCSI than it is to ATA. It's actually a SCSI subset, iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I doubt it, SATA is more akin to SCSI than it is to ATA. It's actually a SCSI subset, iirc.
            From what I remember, both SATA and PATA have been serviced through the SCSI subsystem for a while now. It's probably talking about ATA as opposed to NVMe.

Comment

Oh, cool. I need to dig up some of my old ATA drives and put them back in the case to take advantage of this
              So kernel devs are finally optimizing drives that used to be more common some 15 years ago? Hard to believe that.

Comment

Srsly, my Clear Linux boot way faster then my monitor wake up...

Comment

Looking at the changes it is about a bunch of folders including, scsi, ata and nvme.
                  So these changes should definitely improve with current drives.

Also, if you look at the ata folder you'll find files such as ahci.c, sata_vsc.c, etc, which makes me think that it does work with SATA drives (all my SATA drives use the ahci module which depends on the ata one).

I think what you are referring to as ATA is now referred to as PATA instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jpcc View Post
                    Srsly, my Clear Linux boot way faster then my monitor wake up...
                    I remember when I had crappy monitors. Some of those 17 inch CRT monitors were about as slow as you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      "if you want your car to drive faster, don't throw the thousand pounds of weight out of the trunk - get more expensive tires!"
                      thousand pounds of weight is shell scripts during boot

Comment

Working...
                      X