Red Hat's Stratis 2.0.1 Released For This Linux Storage Management Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
    I'm suprised nobody mentioned Btrfs and ZFS are not folowing Unix philosophy.
    LVM, dm-integrity, XFS, ... is more Unix approach.
    yes, but it's probably going to rely on systemd stuff (it's already relying on d-bus for example) so I'm guessing it will become a Unix phylosophy offender by osmosis.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      The entire Linux kernel doesn't follow the Unix philosophy.
      No it does. It's not "monolithic" in that sense. It's modular and using APIs between modules, and so on and so forth.

If Linux kernel does not follow Unix phylosophy, Systemd project and Coreutil project don't either.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 11 February 2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        Lolwut? I've never ever seen SuSE used in enterprise, at least not in the past 10 years or so.
        In EU it's a thing. Not a huge thing, but it's known. Especially in Germany.

Comment

Does Linux at https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux have ZFS support?

No.

If you try and file a bug at the Linux bugzilla and it's caused by ZFS or a tained kernel, are you going to get support from the Linux developers? No.

So Linux does not support ZFS.

You could say Ubuntu Linux supports ZFS or ZFS is supported on Ubuntu Linux.
          Neither is the working Nvidia driver so being supported by the actual kernel devs is moot when both the Company or Project and Distribution support whatever.

Comment

ZFS isn't supported on Linux though. This will hopefully eventually go into RHEL which if it lands there, it will survive because many people who use RHEL are asking for it (including myself).
            I'm going to kill this argument right here ok..

Q: Is the Nvidia driver supported on Linux?
            A: Yes, it's supported by Nvidia.

Q: Is ZFS supported on Linux?
            A: Yes, it's supported by Zol, Canonical and others. (Even RedHat will support it if you pay them)

ZFS's only difference from proprietary drivers you depend on every day is that is that it's actually open source. This isn't even that weird.. most software and drivers on other OS's have third party support from the OS. (EX: AMD supports AMD drivers on Windows)

Troll harder.
            Last edited by k1e0x; 11 February 2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Why would you even care about that anyway. This isn't a replacement for exFAT, Windows and OSX are fine with their current fs, illumos is dead.

Stratis will become much easier to use and also much more integrated in Linux userspace than ZFS will ever be (given the current status of those devs "not touching it with a 10ft pole", you know), and that's what will make it "win" or at least survive in the long run.
              People who dual-boot might care. I've been jumping between BSD and Linux lately and ZFS is damn handy. As long as you're on the current master on FreeBSD, up-to-date ZoL (0.8.0) encryption works between the two. Guess who was searching issues on GitHub yesterday

It's pretty nice when "zpool import multimedia" imports an encrypted pool on multiple operating systems. When the casuals start to get wind of that kind of systems interoperability with data protection...Really? Need I say more?

My assessment is if the Stratis devs can't figure out multiple OS interoperability then Stratis is already dead in the water. My Linux geek side wants it to succeed while my practical side has been using their competition for half a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                People who dual-boot might care. I've been jumping between BSD and Linux lately and ZFS is damn handy.
                That's... not the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned "dual-boot" but ok.

It's pretty nice when "zpool import multimedia" imports an encrypted pool on multiple operating systems. When the casuals start to get wind of that kind of systems interoperability with data protection...Really? Need I say more?
                Your idea of "casuals" is much more advanced than they actually are. Many don't even have an external hard drive.

My assessment is if the Stratis devs can't figure out multiple OS interoperability then Stratis is already dead in the water.
                That was never a requirement, and it's completely impossible unless you somehow graft Linux LVM and software raid and encrypted block devices on another OS.

My Linux geek side wants it to succeed while my practical side has been using their competition for half a decade.
                But you are also a guy that dual-boots Linux and BSD so ....

Comment

How does Stratis handle hard drive or other hardware failures?

For current releases of Stratis it doesn’t. In fact if you create a Stratis pool with multiple devices you increase the risk of data loss as you now have multiple devices which are required to be operational to access the data.
                  So not ready for prime time.

Any one know what the best approach for adding a caching layer on top of a MD raid array is these days?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    That's... not the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned "dual-boot" but ok.
                    I mean, this IS Phoronix.

Your idea of "casuals" is much more advanced than they actually are. Many don't even have an external hard drive.
                    We're all guilty of that one here.

That was never a requirement, and it's completely impossible unless you somehow graft Linux LVM and software raid and encrypted block devices on another OS.
                    It might not have been, but interoperability is why we still hear about and deal with FAT and NTFS to a lesser degree. If "multiple systems interoperability" isn't a feature of a file system, any file system, it's doomed to be a niche file system that's only used for specific reasons in specific situations and not used as a general purpose, everywhere, file system.

How many of y'all format your external drives as some form of FAT because reasons? Exactly. F2FS and all that nice stuff doesn't matter if nothing other than our desktop or laptop will work with it.

Unlike anything else, OpenZFS has the potential to replace FAT and that's simply because it isn't locked to any one OS; especially once it reaches its 1.0 milestone...and even then it'll take a decade or more...

But you are also a guy that dual-boots Linux and BSD so ....
                    Yeah, but all my Steam games are on it so I'm hoping for that Windows part more than anything. Granted, I can already accomplish that close enough with GPU passthrough and VMs...but that's not the same as native.

Comment

The entire Linux kernel doesn't follow the Unix philosophy.
                      None of Unixes followed it 100% either.

Comment

Working...
                      X