Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS On Linux 0.8.3 Released With Many Fixes

Phoronix: ZFS On Linux 0.8.3 Released With Many Fixes

ZFS On Linux 0.8.3 is out today as the first official update to ZoL since last September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    but new are a ton of fies.

Comment

Looks like this release has the SIMD re-enablement code:
      • Linux 5.0 compat: SIMD compatibility

Comment

wait a second, how something stable could be released with "many fixes" ?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          Same way as any large code base project. You can easily classify any Linux kernel release, FreeBSD stable release, etc etc as "Security fix, security fix security fix, and "many other stability fixes, features, and improvements". That's mostly for those that only want the TLDR release announcement version on the front page.

Comment

But, but, but, I thought there was "no real maintenance behind it any more". /sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by xinorom
              Why would anyone use ZFS on Linux? btrfs offers the same features, with much easier adding/rebalancing drives, no idiotic memory reservation and it's in mainline...

Linus is right, most of the positive stuff you hear about ZFS is either from shills or gullible fanboys.
              I remember a ton of posts saying to NOT use btrfs if you use certain features (like striping) as it can just lose data and zfs is the only option for those features.

Comment

Originally posted by robojerk View Post

I remember a ton of posts saying to NOT use btrfs if you use certain features (like striping) as it can just lose data and zfs is the only option for those features.
                Strangely, I don't see the post you are replying to so I reply to you. I was a huge fan of btrfs. Then I found ZFS and never looked back. ZFS is not perfect and yes, btrfs has some minor advantages over ZFS. But overall, ZFS is the best filesystem for people who value their data.

Of course, for any specific need you might find a specific filesystem that is a better fit. But if you don't appreciate ZFS you have never used it extensively. You have to spend quite a lot of time to get to know its quirks. And the information is not always readily available from one source (the best source seem to be a couple of books by Michael Lucas and Allan Jude - I strongly recommend them for anyone serious about ZFS). But at the end of the day, there just isn't anything that is remotely close to its quality and features.

BTW, IMHO, Linus was talking out of his ass on the technical aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  someone lied somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by robojerk View Post
                    the situation has improved drastically in the last years. RAID5/6 are as safe as mdadm, i.e. you must have an UPS to avoid sudden power-off before it has finished writing to disk.

it's supposed to be better than that though.

Comment

Working...
                    X