Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT4 Gets More Direct I/O Optimizations - Can Help Some Database Workloads Around ~140%+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Gets More Direct I/O Optimizations - Can Help Some Database Workloads Around ~140%+

Phoronix: EXT4 Gets More Direct I/O Optimizations - Can Help Some Database Workloads Around ~140%+

A few days ago I wrote about a big improvement to write performance for EXT4's Direct I/O code path but that is not the only DIO optimization coming for Linux 5.6. Thanks to IBM, another big EXT4 DIO boost can be found for database workloads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love the fact that IBM is still using their XT Personal Computers for ploting diagrams.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      I love the fact that IBM is still using their XT Personal Computers for ploting diagrams.
      Retro loving as it's best.

Will some filesystem be able to surpass EXT4 this decade?

Comment

If you or someone else got a itch for messing a bit with old terminals, there is the Cool Retro Term (CRT) project to play a bit:

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Retro loving as it's best.

Will some filesystem be able to surpass EXT4 this decade?
          exFAT because of its disclosure ...IMHO maybe btrfs most likely not performance-wise but because of its features.
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 09 January 2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Michael this might be an interesting topic for upcoming fs comparions. (patched vs. unpatched vs. other fs)

Comment

I realize this is tongue-in-cheek, but unset $DISPLAY and octave will plot the same with gnuplot

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

I realize this is tongue-in-cheek, but unset $DISPLAY and octave will plot the same with gnuplot
                thx well I will check it ...I have had some strange console prints when I was using octave-cli instead of octave ..or was it some no-window flag (performance reasons) ....

edit:
                checked it - you are right

$ otave-cli -no-window
                > graphics_toolkit('gnuplot')
                > plot(linspace(1,100))

I love it

Last edited by CochainComplex; 09 January 2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Do you need to re-fsck or anything to receive the benefit of these patches, post-5.6? Or are they entirely on the read path, and will automatically apply to already-formatted FSes?

Comment

Those are emulated XT's as the real ones bios could not handle dates greater than 2010......

More to the point, when you are sending results in plain text email (as such information is shared in certain communities), you get ASCII plots or tables.

Comment

Working...
                    X