Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Software for Linux 19.50 Quietly Released For Newest Enterprise-Focused Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software for Linux 19.50 Quietly Released For Newest Enterprise-Focused Driver Support

Phoronix: Radeon Software for Linux 19.50 Quietly Released For Newest Enterprise-Focused Driver Support

When navigating the AMD.com driver downloads area the Radeon Software for Linux 19.30 driver is still referred to, which was released back on 5 November. That 19.30 driver series has been around for a while and we've been waiting for the 19.50 series driver to match their recent Windows driver update. It turns out there is a Radeon Software for Linux 19.50 driver that is public albeit not widely advertised...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Huh, they've implemented on-disk binary shader cache for amdvlk-pro and have fixed page flipping with amdgpu.dc at least without vsync (yet).
    If now proper vsync and FreeSync would follow, this driver would actually be quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      Huh, they've implemented on-disk binary shader cache for amdvlk-pro and have fixed page flipping with amdgpu.dc at least without vsync (yet).
      If now proper vsync and FreeSync would follow, this driver would actually be quite nice.
      From my testing of amdvlk-pro a while ago (I think it was the previous version 19.30) it already had an on-disk shader cache (there should be a folder called "scpc cache"). I would say the shader compilation performance of the proprietary compiler with dxvk games is pretty nice, miles better than amdvlk-open, I would even say almost as good as aco. The problem with it was that it was recompiling the shaders every time I entered the game (at least with 64 bit dxvk games), so I wonder if this issue is fixed in 19.50. It also felt less jittery compared to amdvlk-open when running it with UseFlipHint,1. Generally, the performance was also slightly faster.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

From my testing of amdvlk-pro a while ago (I think it was the previous version 19.30) it already had an on-disk shader cache (there should be a folder called "scpc cache").
        Yeah, but previously there where only stubs in it (dunno what for).
        Now (since 19.50?) it's full blown binaries, the file for Heroes of the Storm already is ~250MB here. Sure, could be much smaller if compressed, but I'm just glad the feature exists now.

Comment

Hm.. that might explain why it was recompiling the shaders every time I entered the game.
          The only reason why I even bother checking both AMDVLK drivers is because it seems to me the image quality with AMDVLK drivers is better than with radv. It looks sharper and the colors are more vivid. Have you noticed any difference in image quality between AMDVLK and radv?

Comment

Working...
          X