Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F2FS Data Compression Using LZO/LZ4 + Selective File Extension Handling To Land In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Data Compression Using LZO/LZ4 + Selective File Extension Handling To Land In 2020

Phoronix: F2FS Data Compression Using LZO/LZ4 + Selective File Extension Handling To Land In 2020

F2FS is the latest Linux file-system gaining transparent data compression support for saving on-disk space. With F2FS there are two compression algorithms supported so far plus the support of making the data compression opt-in per file or applying the compression to select file extensions(s)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It appears that F2FS has both an fsck tool and a defrag tool (both from the f2fs-tools package).

Have we reached the point where F2FS is safe for root FS use on PCs with SSDs? Or did we reach that point a while ago and I just didn't notice?

I remember trying it on a late 4.x kernel and being surprised that fsck on the rootfs failed on boot (it was a known issue with fsck-tools-1.12 apparently).

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
      root FS use on PCs with SSDs
      SSDs don't really care that much about F2FS, it was designed for eMMC and other devices with weak storage controllers.

Comment

Have we reached the point where F2FS is safe for root FS use on PCs with SSDs? Or did we reach that point a while ago and I just didn't notice?

I remember trying it on a late 4.x kernel and being surprised that fsck on the rootfs failed on boot (it was a known issue with fsck-tools-1.12 apparently).
        I've been using it as the root FS on a raspberry pi 3 (SD card, not SSD) since 4.19 and haven't had any problems at all other than fsck on boot being slow (1-2 minutes) if the pi suddenly loses power instead of properly shutting down.

Comment

It appears that F2FS has both an fsck tool and a defrag tool (both from the f2fs-tools package).

I've also been using F2FS on the Raspberry Pi for a few years now and have never had a problem with it.

Comment

Using F2FS on two disks on my Gentoo system. So far so good!

Also, F2FS developers need to implement a function like LVM* to integrated another disk to root disk AFTER the system has installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Using F2FS on two disks on my Gentoo system. So far so good!

Also, F2FS developers need to implement a function like LVM* to integrated another disk to root disk AFTER the system has installed.
              Why not just use LVM for that?

Comment

Why not just use LVM for that?
                LVM adds much overhead and this kills one of the purposes of F2FS.

Comment

It's weird how each FS needs to implement this instead of having some generic layer doing it for all.

Comment

Using f2fs for root with my SSD for 3-4 years. All good.

Comment

Working...
                    X