The Disappointing Direction Of Linux Performance From 4.16 To 5.4 Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by road hazard View Post
    nor will I ever buy another Nvidia GPU (because of their hatred for Linux).
    Nvidia has supported Linux for far longer than AMD has. I was running my MX 200 accelerated in Linux back in 1997. Rocking GL Quake! AMD is the cheap seats. Intel invests more in Linux every year than AMD is worth. Intel and Nvidia 4 life!

Comment

Originally posted by set135

the thing sucks over 3amps@125volts idle.
      In the future please express power in Watts units. 3 Amps @ 125 V = 375 Watts. Actually not entirely accurate on AC unless your power factor is 1, but close enough for government work.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Frederick View Post

Nvidia has supported Linux for far longer than AMD has. I was running my MX 200 accelerated in Linux back in 1997. Rocking GL Quake! AMD is the cheap seats. Intel invests more in Linux every year than AMD is worth. Intel and Nvidia 4 life!
        AMD provide amazing Open Source drivers while nvidia does nothing except crappy blobs which don't even run on Wayland afaik. Intel stole a lot of money from people. I wonder how much their bugs cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Frederick View Post

You were running a Geforce 2MX in Linux in 1997? That seems a bit unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            You were running a Geforce 2MX in Linux in 1997? That seems a bit unlikely.
            Well it was over 20 years ago now. So I guess I remembered wrong? It was a long time ago though. I ran Nvidia's binary driver when it was in beta. Back when AMD support was non-existent. It was the only accelerated 3D on Linux. Nvidia is still the only accelerated 3D on Linux for me. AMD hardware dissipates too much power. Plus I've seen AMD support Linux then go back on it. So I don't trust them today. Nvidia has never changed their support policy. Nvidia is number 1. I am looking forward to see what Intel puts out though.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I hate when developers care only about security and do the changes no matter the costs.
              I bet none of them used Phoronix Test Suite or other benchmarking tool before pushing these changes into the Linux kernel.
              This is really disappointing!
              I hope this doesn't affect HPC systems, cause they use customized kernels

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                AMD provide amazing Open Source drivers while nvidia does nothing except crappy blobs which don't even run on Wayland afaik.
                Not only drivers, but also a lot of tools (rocm, gpuanalizer, CodeXl, HIP, etc) are open and are good

Comment

Ext4 on my Box is completely borked with 5.4! RootFs gets damaged while trying to mount:
                  Code:
                  EXT4-fs error (device nvme0n1p5): ext4_journal_check_start:61: Detected aborted journal
                  EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p5): Remounting filesystem read-only
                  EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p5): ext4_writepages: jbd2_start: 8191 pages, ino 262253; err -30

Comment

Originally posted by kuco View Post
                    Am I missing something? Thats like -10% at max... in benchmarks (usually very extreme and specific). Who the f* cares?
                    It makes quite a difference when you have multiple people running computations that run for days on end (my use case).

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                      If you are a business that actually has to care about hardware costs you probably won't be running Apache and MySQL on one machine in the first place.
                      Please elaborate (do also note that birdie used Apache and MySQL as examples, the 40% decrease that he talks about [that would require a 66% increase in performance to compensate btw] is for system-call heavy applications which will include every single database and web server in existence).

Comment

Working...
                      X