Linux Sees Fix For "Critical" Scheduler Bug Introduced A Few Months Ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    it's a bullshit analogy. country has monopoly over territory. kernel has no monopoly, you can use as many different kernels as you like.
    No, YOU are making bullshit analogy. A kernel without hardware support is a hobby OS, useless for real work. It is like country with no land. Useless.

Kernel of real OS has monopoly over hardware support. You cannot change kernel easy.

This is valid for any software that has big userbase, it has "monopoly". Office has monopoly over word processing, even if it was opensource you cannot make your own fork, because if you make changes to core functionality others cannot read the documents you write.

Also what I wrote is NOT RELATED TO Rust but valid for everuthing so if I offended your purist anti-rust beliefs please go fuck yourself.

you just need to look at redox. if it is better than linux - use it. if it is worse - writing kernels in rust is not that good after all
    It is hobby OS only because none wants to invest the time to develop it when there is already Linux, BSD, Windows.

Same as none is making Linux Desktop applications, Is Windows better than Linux for Desktop? No it is not. But it was there first.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkk View Post
      Yeah, the "general public" do not deserve alternatives or right of choice. They should be force fed through their throats with a solution that *you* think is good for them. All I need to know about the rust sect.
      That's not what he posted, and you have serious issues.

Comment

lol, exactly the "logic" of rust sectarian. if you apply your bullshit logic to the original argument you'll get "i am bored living at my country so let's change something working to a new-and-hip-no-one-ever-asked-for and force *everyone* in this country to use that"
        >implying current software is working

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          that's just not true. i.e. a lie. there is no way for compiler to understand what code is correctly implemented. compiler can only help humans, until strong ai is available, that is. and even then it is not magic bullet ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem )
          I did not say rust magically knows your business logic. The context was about in-code race conditions. You're reading more into it than there is.

Comment

Yeah, the "general public" do not deserve alternatives or right of choice. They should be force fed through their throats with a solution that *you* think is good for them. All I need to know about the rust sect.
            Ain't that the description of a good chunk of Phoronix readers..? Pots insulting kettles, all black.

Comment

Working...
            X