Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Seeing Backport Progress Finally For The "$1.5 Million Dollar Bug"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel Seeing Backport Progress Finally For The "$1.5 Million Dollar Bug"

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Seeing Backport Progress Finally For The "$1.5 Million Dollar Bug"

Several weeks ago we wrote about a kernel fix for Linux 5.4 to address performance issues for highly-threaded Linux software running under CFS quotas. The fix can yield up to a 30x improvement in performance and one company estimated the impact of the bug cost them at least $1.5 million USD in extra resources/hardware. But now it looks like it will soon appear in a Linux 5.3 point release and possible back-ports to earlier kernels...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Our java applications are particularly hard hit ", Java sucks in both performance and resource usage. Write your applications in something better and you would probably save more than the $1.5m this bug "cost" you.

Comment

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
      "Our java applications are particularly hard hit ", Java sucks in both performance and resource usage. Write your applications in something better and you would probably save more than the $1.5m this bug "cost" you.
      I came here pretty much to say this. I find it a little odd that hardly anyone else has ever complained about such issues, leading me to believe it's just a Java thing. Frankly, trusting anything Oracle touches with reliability and performance seems like a mistake nowadays.

I guess if they really care that much about $1.5m (which frankly, isn't that much money when you're talking enterprise servers), they shouldn't be using Xeons.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 05 November 2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X