Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO_uring Is More Polished With Linux 5.4

Phoronix: IO_uring Is More Polished With Linux 5.4

Added back during the Linux 5.1 cycle was IO_uring for fast and efficient I/O. This new interface allows for queue rings to be shared between the application and kernel to avoid excess copies and other efficiency improvements over the existing Linux AIO code. With Linux 5.4, IO_uring is in even better shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any software uses IO_uring, or have plans to do so?
    What kind of software would use IO_uring, is it like BitTorrent clients or database servers?

Comment

IO_uring is the improvement final users have been waiting for 20 years.

Comment

Does someone have some free time ? https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/8716

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Any software uses IO_uring, or have plans to do so?
          What kind of software would use IO_uring, is it like BitTorrent clients or database servers?
          IO_uring concerns with Mass memory allocation improvement. So all programs should take benefit from this innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

IO_uring concerns with Mass memory allocation improvement. So all programs should take benefit from this innovation.
            I was under the impression that it had more to do with I/O than memory allocation, hence useful for applications that read or write files on the file system.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I was under the impression that it had more to do with I/O than memory allocation, hence useful for applications that read or write files on the file system.
              Screen capture tools maybe? Video editors? (which can handle uncompressed 4K footage)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Screen capture tools maybe? Video editors? (which can handle uncompressed 4K footage)
                But these are probably operate with sequential read/writes, i.e. reading or writing an entire file or a large segment/chunk of a file, so I am not sure these benefit from this. Databases needs update records all over the place (unless it uses copy-on-write?). BitTorrent gets small chunks of a file from different sources from different parts of the file, and need to write to at many different places in the file (unless it stitches together the data in memory before it writes it to a file).

Comment

AIO is a low bar, it never left duck-tape phase; see Linus comment. As for apps, it can speed up event-IO frameworks like node.js as well as DB storage engines. Many desktop apps nowadays have some embedded DB to work around file system quirks, so there is a small chance for some measurable improvement here and there (;
                  Sled is nice example of such io_uring-powered embedded KV.

Comment

Working...
                  X