Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Free Software Foundation Endorses First Router In 3 Years - But It's 10/100 + 802.11n WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oibaf
    replied
    FSF is not to blame here, the real problem is that most hardware today requires blobs to work...

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Knowing the FSF they probably don't endorse any wifi adapters to use with it though...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I imagine this isn't a serious router for in-home use. I have a similar mini-router (might actually be a GL-AR300M iirc), and use it for when I'm out-of-house and need to share some kind of restricted connection. In the case of the 10/100 LAN; I don't have any reason to use the LAN in my usage.

Generally, I power it via USB, connect to the mini-router over wireless, go to it's wireless config page, connect the mini-router to the restrictive wireless, do whatever is needed for connectivity (usually some kind of portal page), and then connect any other devices I want to the mini-router.

I picked up such a router from some sale for $13 thinking it'd be useless, but it's actually been very useful in a few situations.

Leave a comment:

• Grogan
    replied
    10/100 LAN... if I was going to buy a new router, it would certainly have to be gigabit ethernet and generally would have to be beefier than that in just about every way. That's mickey mouse, and a lot of money for it.

"$64... but it can go up if... software upgrade before shipping" <--- I'm torn between laughter, anger and pity.

I am sorry, but such a noble certification (I mean that sincerely) does not make that a good purchase.

Leave a comment:

• r08z
    replied
    That router looks sexy - and respects my freedoms? Take my money!

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Free Software Foundation: Endorsing Ancient Hardware, Always.

Leave a comment:

• The Free Software Foundation Endorses First Router In 3 Years - But It's 10/100 + 802.11n WiFi

Phoronix: The Free Software Foundation Endorses First Router In 3 Years - But It's 10/100 + 802.11n WiFi

If looking for a new WiFi router to go with the RYF-pending, 802.11n-based Purism Librem 5 or just want a wireless network as libre as possible, the Free Software Foundation has announced an 802.11n WiFi router now available that respects the user's freedoms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X