X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

So wildly popular I'd never heard of it until your post so i checked Distrowatch and it shows systemd as part of the distribution. So at best its a choice especially as its based on Debian
    At which point you realized that MX Linux is wildly popular on Distrowatch, being the most popular distro by a wide margin, right? And that Distrowatch lists a number of rave reviews for it, calling it "distro of the year" and so forth.

And then you realized that MX Linux does not use systemd by default, but includes it in a disabled state and uses sysvinit and systemd shims instead. Right?

Leave a comment:

• gripped
    replied

so its still a choice otherwise why bother including it?
    Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying, because you weren't entirely clear, "It's a choice to use MX Linux without systemd but as standard it uses systemd"
    Which isn't the case.

It's hard to have a Linux distro with no traces of systemd at all. Even where it is not being used as init, and where none of its other feature creep binaries are being used, many third party programs depend on systemd libs to some extent. So you have the likes of elogind providing a systemd shim to keep those programs happy. Or you can just install systemd's libs to keep those programs happy.

I don't use MX LInux but knew it was a non systemd option. I use Artix on my main PC

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied

So wildly popular I'd never heard of it until your post so i checked Distrowatch and it shows systemd as part of the distribution. So at best its a choice especially as its based on Debian

Leave a comment:

• rtfazeberdee
    replied
    Originally posted by gripped View Post

Nope "Systemd is included by default but not enabled"
    https://mxlinux.org/about-us/
    so its still a choice otherwise why bother including it?

Leave a comment:

• gripped
    replied

Nope "Systemd is included by default but not enabled"

Leave a comment:

• rtfazeberdee
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

MX Linux is a wildly popular and excellent distro that is not using it.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    question is, will Disto's in the future Ditch Systemd ?
    MX Linux is a wildly popular and excellent distro that is not using it.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

i just get the feeling with systemd it wants to control just about everything it can. question is, will Disto's in the future Ditch Systemd ? only time will tell. there are more init systems out there , is systemd becoming the New Microsoft
    C'mon, here we go with the old chorus...

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I tried antiX recently and am surprised at how well it works. I thought that going back to sysvinit might end up causing some trouble, but actually it runs better than the systemd distros I had been running.
    i just get the feeling with systemd it wants to control just about everything it can. question is, will Disto's in the future Ditch Systemd ? only time will tell. there are more init systems out there , is systemd becoming the New Microsoft

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    i see plenty of Distro's going back or being able to use ( sysvinit )
    I tried antiX recently and am surprised at how well it works. I thought that going back to sysvinit might end up causing some trouble, but actually it runs better than the systemd distros I had been running.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X