Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd 1.4.1 Further Improves Decode Speed, Other Optimizations

Phoronix: Zstd 1.4.1 Further Improves Decode Speed, Other Optimizations

Zstd 1.4.1 is out today as a maintenance release to Facebook's Zstandard compression algorithm but with this update comes even more performance optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Like Mike Acton said: "A compiler is a tool, not a magic wand"

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
      Like Mike Acton said: "A compiler is a tool, not a magic wand"
      I think the right way to think about compilers is that they're good until a certain point. If you expect to use hardware "as intended", a compiler might even be better than you could ever get, but there are cases where you want to get more performance, and you need to get really creative. I think pixomatic is the best piece of software to look at (especially the blog posts about it) if you want to see why you might want to write assembly by hand, and abuse hardware in unintended ways.

Comment

Nice. Good reminder to test if I can use grub now with a btrfs root partition and zstd in Arch Linux.

Comment

Nice. I use a btrfs root partition with zstd, so stuff like this is more than welcome

Comment

But who knows which version has kernel implementation ?
            BTRFS uses kernel's embedded one

Comment

Working...
            X