The NVMe Patches To Support Linux On Newer Apple Macs Are Under Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    Windows is supported by Apple with boot camp, so it's their own effort to get it running on their crappy hardware.
    It's not hard to make a driver to workaround a hardware hack, if you made the hardware hack yourself.
    Did you look at the patch? It's not complex code in itself. The hard part is the reverse-engineering, and Apple does not have to do that.

Also, I don't think linux on macs is that irrelevant
    You are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
      Why are we trying to crack the atom bypassing their T2 chip
      There is no T2 cracking, this is just a patch to workaround some weird shit they are doing with their PCIe SSD.

T2 has never enforced people to boot only MacOS/Windows, you can just go in their firmware setup page and disable the "secure boot" thing and it will boot Linux fine.

This has been a hardware issue all along.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Which is a non-issue when your hardware is all soldered down. I mean this is their own soldered down SSD that isn't talking to their own motherboard.

MacOS and Windows (that gets a driver from them) are both fine.

Linux support is less than irrelevant for their own bottom line.
        I agree. While Apple gives us a toy to play with (Swift), the Windows guys get everything (Magic Mouse 2 driver, iTunes, full device support, etc.)

Mozilla has a similar situation. They give us Rust, and they give Windows full hardware decoding acceleration by default.

Comment

Working...
        X