X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by deadite66 View Post

been having screen lockup problems too with 5.1 though i can still ssh into it.
    have a vega 64.
    A bit OT for this thread, but...

Possibly not directly related, but when I moved to kernel 5.0.0, I would get the GPU attached to output dropping off the PCI-E bus at fairly regular intervals - between 5 and 20 minutes after graphical login - reverting to an older kernel stopped it. As I am dependent on CUDA, I only use nVidia cards in Linux. It happened repeatedly on two different systems, a 2990WX/X399 box with RTX 2080Ti's and a Ryzen 2700X/X470 with GTX 1080Ti's. In both cases, returning to an older kernel stopped it from happening.

Leave a comment:

• deadite66
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

No issues with 5.1.5 though. Vega 56.
    Seems good on 5.1.5, been running all day with no hang.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It's also used by default for encrypted setup. Which is more than relevant for laptop users.
    I don't think you need LVM to use LUKS.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Buntolo View Post

How do you RAID on desktop then?
    If I used RAID, I'd do it in my storage server.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post

many distros 'offer' lvm to users during install by default. Have to go 'manual' to avoid it.
    a very big that.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    People who unironically use LVM on desktops deserve it. It's a BIG waste of time, merely looking for LVM volumes can take 300ms, which is a LOT of time, as well as taking away critical iops needed to boot the system.

LVM is bloat, and only makes sense in server setups.
    Many distros 'offer' LVM to users during install by default. Have to go 'manual' to avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    These articles have made me glad I'm a ZoL & BTRFS user (with an eye on bcachefs). I just prefer my tools to be more integrated and ZFS is the best in that regard; with BTRFS and bcachefs showing promise. At the end of the day I trust ZFS more than BTRFS and I trust either of those over volume layer + encryption layer + file system layer in whatever order a setup might require.

I've had all my Steam games and multimedia on a ZFS drive for three years now. Started as .6.x and is now .8.0 and I haven't had a single problem sticking with their point releases and rc's. Outside of the lackluster bootloader support that plagues all advanced setups from LVM2 to BTRFS to ZFS, it's a great file system and it has always kept my data safe through power outages, crashes, etc.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by Buntolo View Post

LVM has nothing to do with RAID. You'll probably want btrfs, zfs, or mdraid instead. mdraid != dm.

Leave a comment:

• Buntolo
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    People who unironically use LVM on desktops deserve it. It's a BIG waste of time, merely looking for LVM volumes can take 300ms, which is a LOT of time, as well as taking away critical iops needed to boot the system.

LVM is bloat, and only makes sense in server setups.

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Funny thing is, Samsung SSDs support Opal, so you should probably just be using that instead - fi only it had better support in distros.
    I don't really trust the integrated encryption, there seem to be quite a few attack vectors there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X