Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.2-rc1 Kernel Released With Case-Insensitive EXT4, New Intel HW & RTW88 WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.2-rc1 Kernel Released With Case-Insensitive EXT4, New Intel HW & RTW88 WiFi

Phoronix: Linux 5.2-rc1 Kernel Released With Case-Insensitive EXT4, New Intel HW & RTW88 WiFi

Back when Linux 5.1 was released, Linus Torvalds expressed some concern that the Linux 5.2 merge window may have to be extended by a few days as it would conflict with his daughter's graduation, but he has managed still to get 5.2-rc1 out on time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have any Linux distribution made any statement on plans to use case-insensitive ext4?
    Since it is set on a directory basis, it could be set for only the home directory.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Have any Linux distribution made any statement on plans to use case-insensitive ext4?
      Since it is set on a directory basis, it could be set for only the home directory.
      I imagine applications will opt in to it as needed, for example Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I imagine applications will opt in to it as needed, for example Wine.
        Yes, I believe so too.
        But it would be interesting if any distribution was planning to set case-insensitive for the home directory or maybe even the whole file system.

Comment

I hope no distro is nuts enough to enable this flag for entire /home, as it could lead to breakage, and I assume most people who want a proper U*IX system expect a case sensitive file system. This feature has it's uses, but they should be picked carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I hope no distro is nuts enough to enable this flag for entire /home, as it could lead to breakage, and I assume most people who want a proper U*IX system expect a case sensitive file system. This feature has it's uses, but they should be picked carefully.
            There is a huge amount of computer users who don't really care about if the system is a Unix system or not.
            Also I believe most computer users expect the file system to be case-insensitive.

Comment

Also I believe most computer users expect the file system to be case-insensitive.
              Why would anyone want it beside edge cases?

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post

Why would anyone want it beside edge cases?
                Because when people name their file "Cute cat.jpg" later when they want to open it, "cute cat.jpg" is the same file. These are not 2 different files in the mind of a normal computer user.

Comment

Because when people name their file "Cute cat.jpg" later when they want to open it, "cute cat.jpg" is the same file. These are not 2 different files in the mind of a normal computer user.
                  That would be the case because they're conditioned by operating systems which are case insensitive. Baby duck syndrome at it's finest.

Comment

There is a huge amount of computer users who don't really care about if the system is a Unix system or not.
                    The people that don't care or aren't aware that the system is Unix (or Unix-like) don't use a terminal anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X