X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loris
    replied
    Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
    So wait, is 5% of the ext2 partition on my flash drive 'reserved for root'?
    If you didn't specify different options than the default, then yes, 5% of that filesystem space is reserved for usage by UID 0 (root user).

To find out how much space is currently reserved on your filesystem, try this several steps:

The total number of blocks in your filesystem is:
    Code:
    # dumpe2fs /dev/$your_partition_device_file | grep 'Block count'
    Each block is by default 4 Kilobytes (4096 bytes), to find out your block size:
    Code:
    # dumpe2fs /dev/$your_partition_device_file | grep 'Block size'
    The number of currently reserved blocks is:
    Code:
    # dumpe2fs /dev/$your_partition_device_file | grep 'Reserved block count'
    The UID (user ID) of the user who the space is reserved for is:
    Code:
    # dumpe2fs /dev/$your_partition_device_file | grep 'Reserved blocks uid'
    The GID (group ID) of the group which the space is reserved for is:
    Code:
    # dumpe2fs /dev/$your_partition_device_file | grep 'Reserved blocks gid'
    At anytime you can assign the reserved space to a different UID, or set 0 reserved blocks if you'd like none.

To change reserved space UID:
    Code:
    # tune2fs -u $new_uid /dev/$your_partition_device_file
    To change reserved space GID:
    Code:
    # tune2fs -g $new_gid /dev/$your_partition_device_file
    To change reserved space block number:
    Code:
    # tune2fs -r $new_reserved_block_number /dev/$your_partition_device_file
    Last edited by Loris; 28 December 2008, 09:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    So wait, is 5% of the ext2 partition on my flash drive 'reserved for root'?

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I've noticed something with 2.6.28 that didn't happen since quite some time: The mouse cursor in X becomes skippy/jumpy when there's heavy system load (doing a "make -j5" in /usr/src/linux for example). Anyone else seeing this? Cursor was always smooth as silk before.
    I noticed something like that too. Just after I upgraded to Jaunty Alpha 2. Mouse cursor started to behave oddly when passing over some links on Firefox.

I thought it was probably something related to new X.org libs.

My Mouse is a A4Tech 8 buttons, using evdev too.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Never had this with 2.6.26/27. It's not a big problem though. The mouse is a USB Microsoft IntelliMouse. Using evdev driver. Normally I would boot 2.6.27 again to check if it's something else at fault, but now that I went ext4, I can't.

Leave a comment:

• Loris
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I've noticed something with 2.6.28 that didn't happen since quite some time: The mouse cursor in X becomes skippy/jumpy when there's heavy system load (doing a "make -j5" in /usr/src/linux for example). Anyone else seeing this? Cursor was always smooth as silk before.
    I regularly experience skippy mouse movements on:
    • swap space/file usage
    • heavy storage I/O, on machines with IDE chipset which require CPU intervention (Intel U100, my notebook is a Thinkpad A30)
    • heavy USB I/O, as the USB specification doesn't include DMA (remember me, what does Intel sells, again? )

Leave a comment:

• Throwing Strikes
    replied
    What type of mouse are you using. I had to replace my Razer Deathadder because the mouse would get jumpy when I was in WoW. But this was under the 2.6.25 kernel.

I would try a different mouse to make sure its not a hardware issue if you haven't already.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hdas
    replied
    @ Jade :

About Reiser4. Whatever has happened has happened. Reiser is a genius, no doubt and Reiser4 is revolutionary. Never mind his quirky attitude and personal issues. Everyone has a personal life and we got to understand that.

Meanwhile, the important thing is to be constructive. There are no conspiracies. Anyone or any corporation wouldn't become a billionaire (like Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer) by pulling such a thing. People are sincerely trying to do what is best.

I know you are personally disturbed about reiser4 and as much passionate about it as Reiser himself. But you got to move on man. You are very talented and you can and you should code. You can yourself make reiser4 better, try to push it in the linux kernel (and hopefully every other OS - *interoperabilty*) and such an effort will be very very appreciable.

And it is not just about Reiser4. Look at Ext4 - they have spent years on it and I was surprised to know its just some transition file system. There is no conspiracy here either, its just for the better. There are so many efforts to make things better - Tux3, Btrfs, ZFS. Any work on any of these would be awesome.

Show them the code! And, don't let it take a toll on you. You need a bottle of beer and I wish I could get you one!
    Last edited by hdas; 27 December 2008, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Loris
    replied
    Originally posted by Jade View Post
    And Reiser4 is still better and more stable than Ext4.

Linus Torvalds and co., are apparently just plain ole garbage.
    Wow, "better" is too much a technical term.

Plain offensive speaking toward Free Software developers is what makes filesystems better, I suppose. Jade, please, don't.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    lol@Jade

I'm pretty convinced that Reiser4 will enter the kernel tree eventually. Perhaps it would have been already in the kernel if Reiser wouldn't have started the "kernel devs suck" discussion back then. Hmm, perhaps Reiser going to jail had nothing to do with his wife; I think the kernel devs conspired and set him up for murder...

But don't be jealous on Ext4 just because kernel devs are biased towards it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X