Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Read-Only Apple File-System Support Is Being Worked On For The Linux Kernel (APFS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Typo:
    "the past firmware years" lol

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Does anyone have a Link with information as to why there isnt an in-kernel NTFS driver? Like why can NTFS-3G exist but a kernel one cant?
      I thought there was in-kernel support for read-only support for NTFS. I thought the reason ntfs-3g needed to be out-of-kernel was because of the patents Microsoft held on the filesystem.

Now that Microsoft has thrown their patents into the Open Invention Network pool, I wonder if there can be work on pulling in full R/W support for NTFS and exFAT into the kernel.

Comment

The level of Boy Meets World cognitive dissonance in these posts are surpassing my wildest expectations.

You people do know who Microsoft and Apple(and the Fking FBI) are... right?

Why is there even a hint of a suggestion that they are going to do anything other than ram their fist up their clueless customer's(and your) ass?

Comment

Originally posted by antnythr View Post

I thought there was in-kernel support for read-only support for NTFS. I thought the reason ntfs-3g needed to be out-of-kernel was because of the patents Microsoft held on the filesystem.

Now that Microsoft has thrown their patents into the Open Invention Network pool, I wonder if there can be work on pulling in full R/W support for NTFS and exFAT into the kernel.
          Kinda hope exfat-nofuse gets up-streamed too.

Uninstalling the fuse driver and installing the DKMS module is the first thing I do on any new Linux install. Performance is far better and exFAT is very useful if you want a USB drive that works on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Yeah when FBI captures a criminal and they go through his storage devices then it would be good if they NTFS and APFS support in the Linux kernel, because then they could plug device into their system and mount its file system regardless of what file system it is.
            The FBI use Windows and pretty sure they have access to macs.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              The FBI use Windows and pretty sure they have access to macs.
              Sure. But I guess it would be appealing to use have one system that can mount any file system.

Comment

Sure. But I guess it would be appealing to use have one system that can mount any file system.
                Windows + APFS driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Windows + APFS driver?
                  ext4, Btrfs, XFS, ZFS, etc too.
                  Hence Linux. So they should contribute NTFS and APFS support.

Comment

There was already this project https://github.com/sgan81/apfs-fuse

Comment

Paying for 2 USB drives to keep 2 OSes is many orders of magnitude cheaper and 100% guaranteed to work than any kind of filesystem driver development, seriously wtf are you thinking. THey are not going to be coding in C# or java where you can whip up some crappy hack in 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                      X