No announcement yet.

Systemd 241 Being Prepared With "System Down" Security Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of these gaps have already been patched. At the end of November and the beginning of December. Before the release of version 240.

This fixes a crash where we would read the commandline, whose length is under control of the sending program, and then crash when trying to create a stack allocation for it. CVE-2018-16864 https:/...

Existing use of E2BIG is replaced with ENOBUFS (entry too long), and E2BIG is reused for the new error condition (too many fields). This matches the change done for systemd-journald, hence forming...

Fixes a vulnerability originally discovered by Felix Wilhelm from Google. CVE-2018-15688 LP: #1795921 https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1639067

Code:
    cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-journald.service
    [Unit]
    Description=Journal Service
    Documentation=man:systemd-journald.service(8) man:journald.conf(5)
    DefaultDependencies=no
    Requires=systemd-journald.socket
    After=systemd-journald.socket systemd-journald-dev-log.socket systemd-journald-audit.socket syslog.socket
    Before=sysinit.target

[Service]
    CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_SYS_ADMIN CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE CAP_SYS_PTRACE CAP_SYSLOG CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL CAP_AUDIT_READ CAP_CHOWN CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH
    CAP_FOWNER CAP_SETUID CAP_SETGID CAP_MAC_OVERRIDE
    ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
    FileDescriptorStoreMax=4224
    IPAddressDeny=any
    LockPersonality=yes
    MemoryDenyWriteExecute=yes
    [B]NoNewPrivileges=yes[/B]
    Restart=always
    RestartSec=0
    RestrictAddressFamilies=AF_UNIX AF_NETLINK
    RestrictNamespaces=yes
    RestrictRealtime=yes
    Sockets=systemd-journald.socket systemd-journald-dev-log.socket systemd-journald-audit.socket
    StandardOutput=null
    SystemCallArchitectures=native
    SystemCallErrorNumber=EPERM
    SystemCallFilter=@system-service
    Type=notify
    WatchdogSec=3min

Comment

Originally posted by latalante View Post
      All of these gaps have already been patched. At the end of November and the beginning of December. Before the release of version 240.

This fixes a crash where we would read the commandline, whose length is under control of the sending program, and then crash when trying to create a stack allocation for it. CVE-2018-16864 https:/...

Existing use of E2BIG is replaced with ENOBUFS (entry too long), and E2BIG is reused for the new error condition (too many fields). This matches the change done for systemd-journald, hence forming...

Fixes a vulnerability originally discovered by Felix Wilhelm from Google. CVE-2018-15688 LP: #1795921 https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1639067

Code:
      cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-journald.service
      [Unit]
      Description=Journal Service
      Documentation=man:systemd-journald.service(8) man:journald.conf(5)
      DefaultDependencies=no
      Requires=systemd-journald.socket
      After=systemd-journald.socket systemd-journald-dev-log.socket systemd-journald-audit.socket syslog.socket
      Before=sysinit.target

[Service]
      CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_SYS_ADMIN CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE CAP_SYS_PTRACE CAP_SYSLOG CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL CAP_AUDIT_READ CAP_CHOWN CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH
      CAP_FOWNER CAP_SETUID CAP_SETGID CAP_MAC_OVERRIDE
      ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
      FileDescriptorStoreMax=4224
      IPAddressDeny=any
      LockPersonality=yes
      MemoryDenyWriteExecute=yes
      [B]NoNewPrivileges=yes[/B]
      Restart=always
      RestartSec=0
      RestrictAddressFamilies=AF_UNIX AF_NETLINK
      RestrictNamespaces=yes
      RestrictRealtime=yes
      Sockets=systemd-journald.socket systemd-journald-dev-log.socket systemd-journald-audit.socket
      StandardOutput=null
      SystemCallArchitectures=native
      SystemCallErrorNumber=EPERM
      SystemCallFilter=@system-service
      Type=notify
      WatchdogSec=3min
      What does NoNewPrivileges do in this instance? Isn't journald alreading running as root? And would an application causing a stack clash and gaining control of a pointer be considered a child process and prevented from getting root?

Thanks for linking to the patches

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

Takes a boolean argument. If true, ensures that the service process and all its children can never gain new privileges through execve() (e.g. via setuid or setgid bits, or filesystem capabilities). This is the simplest and most effective way to ensure that a process and its children can never elevate privileges again

and yes i know that "CapabilityBoundingSet" as well as the other sandboxing on this unit is way too wide open given what it's possible (just to make clear that i am far away from a non-technical fanboy)

"filesystem capabilities" is that stuff:

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ getcap /usr/bin/ping
        /usr/bin/ping = cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw+p
        Thanks, but I already read the man page. My questions were 1) doesnt journald run as root anyway so how does this help in this case 2) would this protect from the stack clash exploit (on its own, I can see the patches fix the vulnerability but that seems completely sperate from this option)

Apologies if you have answered my questions and I don't understand

Comment

exactly and all that "i don't like systemd so nobody has to use dependencies to and capapbilities from it" idiots are free to write their own software instead demand "do not link to xyz because i don't like it and have no technical backgrounds to support that arbitary bullshit"
          Dude, replace systemd with "Windows" and see how hypocritical people are. They even have an alternative (Linux) and they STILL whine when devs decide to support only Windows (as if an app/lib depends on systemd).

If it's ok for systemd to have crap depend on it without getting any backlash, then so should Microsoft and Windows. Deal with it.

Like I said, comical.

Comment

Shall we all move on and try to find ways to build each other up, rather than knocking each other down?

Comment

Look I didn't want to do this but...
              Code:
              sudo renice 10 -u hreindl
              Last edited by Murple; 15 January 2019, 06:14 PM. Reason: Wrong pronoun

Comment

bullshit!
                Your logic is, yes.

how do you replace system components on windows?
                By installing Linux or ReactOS.

you can do on Linux, see Gentoo, see the Debian fork
                There's no difference between say, systemd, and Windows' services and API platform, except that the latter is much broader and larger (don't be butthurt, systemd is too large for some people already as well, you don't define the limit).

either you do it at your own or find enough people wanting the same working together or you pay somebody - on Windows with no money on the world you can influence anything
                The most idiotic reasoning I've ever heard (I mean the latter part). Not my problem systemd is a small fish, that doesn't excuse it.

comical are only people whining all day long about things which the most don't have to deal at all
                Yeah, like the Windows users and Linux users whining right?

most people never wrote a single init-script (not talking about a sane one which reduces the amount again dramatically) and most are even not capable to do so - a systemd-unit can be written by a trained monkey and that's why in my opinion the guys whining all the time are the ones with fear that their sysvinit-godness goes away because most people can now write services at theri own
                Most people never used a terminal or command line at all. On Windows, to those monkeys, it's much easier to use than Linux, so why butthurt about the analogy?

Also who the fuck whines about systemd's ease of use? They whine about the fact it's monolithic (in terms of dependencies and apps/libs reliant on it) and can't easily swap parts of it. As you can see, it has security flaws, so for example I don't want to use the fucking journald even if I want to use other components of systemd, and yet you usually don't have such choice because of the fucking dependency mess. (this is just an example don't pick on it).

systemd is like Windows. Deal with it.

Comment

and what i really don't get why did all the fools not whine before upstart as practically only sysvinit existed that they can't select another init system?
                  because before systemd and the bullshit against it all over the web the majority didn't know that there is a init system at all and what it does
                  Because upstart was JUST AN INIT SYSTEM. It's not about alternatives to one thing, it's about not bundling ALL of the fucking thing.

For example, this thread is about journald. What the fuck does that have to do with an init system and why must it be bundled? You see, if systemd was just an init system like upstart, then this thread would not be about systemd and all would be happy because nobody would blame systemd -- the simple init system -- since it would have nothing to do with it. Ffs.

Again, the problem is that systemd is too big and bundles too much crap that you can't remove because other apps rely on them. Not that it's a bad init system. The problem is that it has too much stuff that you have to include all of due to intertwined dependencies.

Comment

well, start by stop trolling about things virtually everybody except you and your 4 friends on each and every forum has no problem with after in the meantime 7 years? systemd is there, systemd will stay, all that daily bullshit whininy instead learn to deal with it is just useless noise and makes people with technical knowledge tired

when you every day whine about the same thing you can't change and nobody else will change for you you gain nothing! learn to deal tih it and stop whining! if it's that bad for you change it by just go away
                    Replace systemd with Windows and re-read your post. It's scary just how well it fits!

Don't be mad at facts.

Comment

because otherwise we still won't have fucking reliable early boot logs?
                      And maybe I don't give a shit about them so where's my freedom. Right there isn't one just like on fucking Windows, because systemd is the same monolithic piece of shit, so keep barking.

and "By installing Linux or ReactOS" as answer to "how do you replace system components on windows?" shows that you are not worth to discuss because you lack the needed brain
                      What the fuck do you think an OS is, retard? A collection of services/daemons, libraries and a kernel (and drivers with it). That's fucking it.

If you install Linux, you replace all of this. If you install ReactOS, you replace all of it, albeit with a supposed compatibility to it (but not finished obviously). But you have to replace ALL OF IT and THAT IS MY FUCKING POINT because it's the SAME FUCKING THING WITH SYSTEMD, you idiot.

Again, perfect analogy, you just lack the required brain to process it.

just install http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ where you have all the freedom you like
                      I don't because applications rely on that systemd which is a problem because I have to install ALL OF IT (see above).

Same reason that installing linuxfromscratch isn't going to help you run Windows drivers you have to install ALL OF WINDOWS (more or less) just to run a single Windows-only driver!

Even a fucking toddler can see the clear analogy. systemd's problem is that it's ALL OR NOTHING with its components and dependencies, again, JUST LIKE WINDOWS.

Comment

Working...
                      X