Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Sed 4.6 Released With Better Write Performance

Phoronix: GNU Sed 4.6 Released With Better Write Performance

Sed 4.6 is now available of the popular GNU utility for command-line text/stream editing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But can it output red colored error messages?

Comment

Sed is my favorite color after vim and grep. Shells are great.

Comment

Binary mode is really cool when i just need to replace couple of strings without rebuilding.

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
          Sed is my favorite color after vim and grep. Shells are great.
          Sed, grep, awk, perl… They could be very useful tools, except they all have incompatible options, regexps, behavior, which makes using them together a pain in the ass.

To fix this problem I have recently migrated my workflow to just perl and ack (both of them have compatible regexps). My life became so much simpler! I have wrote down some notes on how to do sed/awk/find stuff with ack and perl https://github.com/Hi-Angel/notes-ba...master/perl.md

I also made up a bash/zsh function `sed_perl`, I recommend adding it to your zshrc/bashrc:
          Code:
          # sed analog in perl, called like "sed_perl pattern_from pattern_to"
          function sed_perl() {
              local from=$1
              local to=$2
              shift 2
              /usr/bin/vendor_perl/ack -l --print0 "$from" $@ | xargs -r0 perl -Mutf8 -i -CS -pe "s α${from}α${to}αg"
          }

Comment

Working...
          X