QEMU Making Progress With Legacy-Free Display Support - Avoids Old VGA Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoog View Post

In actuality, the biggest users of QEMU are cloud providers. Wipro, RedHat, Microsoft, HP, Amazon and tons of individual VPS companies.
    That is very true and I am noticing Qemu focusing very much on Linux above all else. It was semi recently that DOS with a virtual memory manager like desqview was not handling keys correctly due to missed interrupts.

Cloud providers are mostly using it as a frontend to their virtualiser. Or perhaps in dire circumstances a backend to their nested virtualisation fallback.

But at the same time it is also one of the best we have for emulation. For example the Android (ARM) emulator. I find we actually have very view choices when it comes to decent emulation support for older systems. I.e I am amazed that in 2018 there is no emulator capable of running IRIX.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 29 October 2018, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

That is very true and I am noticing Qemu focusing very much on Linux above all else. It was semi recently that DOS with a virtual memory manager like desqview was not handling keys correctly due to missed interrupts.

Cloud providers are mostly using it as a frontend to their virtualiser. Or perhaps in dire circumstances a backend to their nested virtualisation fallback.

But at the same time it is also one of the best we have for emulation. For example the Android (ARM) emulator. I find we actually have very view choices when it comes to decent emulation support for older systems. I.e I am amazed that in 2018 there is no emulator capable of running IRIX.
      I'll tell you more. QEMU has actually very limited support for non-x86 hardware. Just try running FreeBSD on SPARC or PowerPC inside of QEMU. Make my day

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post

I'll tell you more. QEMU has actually very limited support for non-x86 hardware. Just try running FreeBSD on SPARC or PowerPC inside of QEMU. Make my day
        My general findings with using Qemu (static) on FreeBSD:

i386 - perfect (90%+)
        x86_64 - perfect (90%+)
        armv6 - pretty good (80%+)
        aarch64 - perfect (90%+)
        sparc - nope (0%)
        sparc64 - nope (10%)
        PowerPC - nope (0%)

Luckily my main interest in Qemu is its digital preservation capabilities and unless they screw it up, it still provides a pretty acceptable experience for DOS, Pre-NT WIndows.

Comment

Working...
        X