Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any screenshot of the new beta UI?

Comment

Anyone knows if they fixed their wayland support?? Ie does it start natively in a wayland session?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I believe this is the first time ever I have seen a major release with only two listed features. And one of them is "improved" (whatever that means) GUI.
        The sadder part is I don't know of free alternatives to VirtualBox
        It's just a version number. Think about it from the angle of the devel team and an internal goal of new features plus unlisted refactoring and cleanup, etc.

As a VirtualBox user (wrt to other posts about it being slow), it "just works" and lets me use Linux in Windows or Linux casually, and Windows in Linux or Windows casually, without any real necessary performance target. I have a 5GHz box with 32GB fast low latency ram, maybe I just don't notice.

Comment

Does there exist any alternative to VirtualBox that will run MacOS run on non-mac hardware? After performing the low-level settings changes in VirtualBox I managed to boot up an instance of macOS without any problems but then I switched to a Ryzen CPU and of course macOS now dies during boot.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I believe this is the first time ever I have seen a major release with only two listed features. And one of them is "improved" (whatever that means) GUI.
            The sadder part is I don't know of free alternatives to VirtualBox
            Well they have also the weasel worded "many unlisted fixes and improvements" that is common to have as changelog for many projects these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's what GNOME Boxes is for.
              IMO GNOME Boxes is way too limited to be useful. Personally I like Virt Manager, it also uses KVM (through libvirt) but provides a more advanced UI. It's still really easy to use though, similar in many ways to VirtualBox.

Another benefit of KVM that's often overlooked is that unlike VMware and VirtualBox, it doesn't require any third-party kernel drivers on the host system. So you can have module.sig_enforce enabled (a huge security plus) and it's generally extremely stable.

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

With KVM/QEMU you can have VirGL... or even GPU pass-through.

That's how I played D3D11 games before DXVK.
                Does that work with all CPUs? Any link?
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

IMO GNOME Boxes is way too limited to be useful. Personally I like Virt Manager, it also uses KVM (through libvirt) but provides a more advanced UI. It's still really easy to use though, similar in many ways to VirtualBox.

Another benefit of KVM that's often overlooked is that unlike VMware and VirtualBox, it doesn't require any third-party kernel drivers on the host system. So you can have module.sig_enforce enabled (a huge security plus) and it's generally extremely stable.
                  Good for you, but I was replying to uid313 who wanted to download a distro from a list and load it up directly. AFAIK, you can't do that with Virt Manager, but you can do that with GNOME Boxes, hence why I recommended it to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Good for you, but I was replying to uid313 who wanted to download a distro from a list and load it up directly. AFAIK, you can't do that with Virt Manager, but you can do that with GNOME Boxes, hence why I recommended it to him.
                    OK. I must have missed that bit, sorry. Personally I use VM mainly to run Windows, for some apps that I need for work that Wine doesn't support well, so obviously Boxes doesn't provide ready installation images for that either.

Comment

Working...
                    X