Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.14 LTSI Kernel Released For Longer-Term Support

Phoronix: Linux 4.14 LTSI Kernel Released For Longer-Term Support

The Linux Foundation LTSI initiative has finished baking its first Linux 4.14-based kernel for longer-term support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Two years is remarkably short for consumer electronics etc. I purchase portable devices with the expectation that they will be maintained for much longer than that (and I'm willing to pay a premium for e.g. Apple hardware for that reason, plus privacy reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
      Two years is remarkably short for consumer electronics etc.
      There are different timelines for LTS kernels. For example, kernel 4.9 is supported until 2023 (about 6 years).

Comment

I presume 4.14 will be extended to 2024 when the next LTS release after 4.19 is in rc stage (maybe 4.24 or 5.4 or something).

Comment

Two years is remarkably short for consumer electronics etc. I purchase portable devices with the expectation that they will be maintained for much longer than that (and I'm willing to pay a premium for e.g. Apple hardware for that reason, plus privacy reasons).
          privacy with Apple? Nice joke

Comment

I purchase portable devices with the expectation that they will be maintained for much longer than that (and I'm willing to pay a premium for e.g. Apple hardware for that reason, plus privacy reasons).
            Meh, it's so much cheaper to just change them every year than it makes little sense to "invest" like three times more cash in a marginally longer lived product.

You don't get privacy with any consumer firmware anyway (Apple isn't much different from Google), so either prepare to neuter the hardware manually (so it can't phone home) or place it in a firewalled network, or flash a custom firmware compiled from source (LineageOS or OpenWrt for example) or a full-blown Linux distro (usually Debian).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              flash a full-blown Linux distro (usually Debian).
              The problem is that they only care about the Nexus 5...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                The problem is that they only care about the Nexus 5...
                Pointless duplication of effort. They don't have and never will have the resources to do more than such token efforts.
                Meanwhile, that device is already supported by LineageOS.

That said, I was thinking more about Marvell-SoC NAS things or devices supported by Armbian.

Comment

Working...
                X