Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple to start behaving like Microsoft?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacha
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    lol,
    Blame the Sarbanes-Oxley act, not apple for that one. It explicitly forbids "giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures"
    Then I guess a lot of companies including Microsoft are in a whole world of trouble for those free feature packs. How this applies to wireless drivers I will never know.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    All credit and code are freely available from download from developers.apple.com.
    Stop trying to avoid what I said.
    What I actually said was that they do not allow people to freely develop or patch their code. They have complete control over the source code. I never said it wasn't open source. Furthermore, they take development away from the original project, forcing it to be abandoned. So, while you can still view the source (as I said), it is no longer actively developed by the community. It takes a direction in Apple's sole interest.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    lol,

Force you to pay for firmware updates and wireless drivers as well as point updates
    Blame the Sarbanes-Oxley act, not apple for that one. It explicitly forbids "giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures"

• Closed source except the open source code they decided to fork (steal?). Then they don't allow people to patch/fix it anyway. I say steal because the original project is not given credit and then development for the original opensource project that anyone could develop for is abandoned.

All credit and code are freely available from download from developers.apple.com.

Leave a comment:

• Sacha
    replied
    Apple has always acted like Microsoft, if not worse.
    They practice extreme lock-in:
    • Locked in carriers (AT&T)
    • Proprietary connectors (so they can up the price)
    • Don't let you run their software on 'non-mac' machines (but it is same hardware as PC)
    • Don't let you remove battery (so they can charge you for it)
    • Choose what software is available to you (AppStore)
    • Don't allow third party applications to compete (on iPhone AppStore)
    • Make machines like iMac desktop and mac laptop that are difficult to open thus unable to upgrade (new: aluminimum block) without buying new machine
    • Force you to pay for firmware updates and wireless drivers as well as point updates
    • Closed source except the open source code they decided to fork (steal?). Then they don't allow people to patch/fix it anyway. I say steal because the original project is not given credit and then development for the original opensource project that anyone could develop for is abandoned.

Edit: Somehow whenever they come up with one of these 'great' new ideas to lock people in, the fanboys pretend it is a feature though. Can't remove battery? Oh it's to save space! No 3G? Oh it's to increase battery life! Choosing software? Oh it's to protect you! Proprietary connectors? Oh the standard connectors don't have enough features! Aluminimum block? Oh it's more solid and not as cheap as the scratch-easy-plastic they used to give us! Pay for firmware updates? Oh they are really big updates and worth it!

Now you've come across an issue that is hard to answer. Don't allow third-party applications to complete? Oh, hmmm. Maybe they are worse than Microsoft?

Ya think!
    Last edited by Sacha; 27 November 2008, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    That is indeed worrysome.

Leave a comment:

• givemesugarr
    started a topic Apple to start behaving like Microsoft?!

Apple to start behaving like Microsoft?!

i was surfing around on my favourite blogs and found out that apple has issued a request to remove the visibility of the ipodhash project from bluewiki pages calling it as a violation of the famigerate dmca.
    on the sam odio personal blog page there's a reference about what happened.
    here's the link:

now, i really don't want to believe that something like this happened just because someone wanted to be able to use his ipod on linux without having to use that piece of crap of itunes running on wine (since there isn't any official version available for linux).
    this really seems like a very bad act from apple...
    fortunatelly the eff has decided to pick up the part of this project and to defend it from the charges apple's lawyers brought out.
    i really hope that this ends out in no consequences for the ipodhash project.
    i'd like to know what users think about this question.
Working...
X