Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre 4.18-gnu Released As The Latest Deblobbed Kernel

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre 4.18-gnu Released As The Latest Deblobbed Kernel

Hot off the release of the upstream Linux 4.18 kernel, the GNU folks have released GNU Linux-libre 4.18-gnu that is their deblobbed version that strips out any "non-free" device driver support, removes the ability to load binary-only kernel modules and not being able to load firmware blobs either...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-4.18-Released

A new firmware loading interface was also removed from this kernel since it could be loading non-free-software.
    Sounds like "freedom" to me to prevent the user from loading "non-free" software if they want to.

Comment

Two people using this Kernel... the guy who forked it... and santa clause

Comment

It's actually pretty helpful that you can't be tricked by non-free drivers/firmware into tainting your kernel. Not many of us run a true FOSS OS. After 27 years there is still a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          Two people using this Kernel... the guy who forked it... and santa clause
          Don't forget RS

Comment

Works well for me. Lightweight, easy to compile and install, if you've got the right hardware for it.

Michael - one of these days I'm going to do benchmarks on the same system with and without the Libre kernel. I notice that its quite responsive, I'm wondering if it will give different or even better results in some tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Sounds like "freedom" to me to prevent the user from loading "non-free" software if they want to.
              You have the source, you have the freedom to put all of the hooks into place for proprietary software if you want.

I don't understand comments like yours. The whole point of the linux-libre project is to make a version of the Linux kernel that doesn't connect to any proprietary modules. What did you expect them to do, instead?

Comment

Working...
              X