Linux Kernel Gets Patch For New SpectreRSB Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

I think I've got your point, but I mean they're not equal in terms of performance (and your original point was they're optimized for typical workloads which doesn't really matter in the end). There's no performance related task where Linux will fail against FreeBSD or Windows. However, there are tasks where putting Windows or FreeBSD instead of Linux will be sub-optimal. When comes to features? Stop kidding.
    My point didn't go that deeply into why they perform differently.

A real world example is Solid Edge, which doesn't even run on anything but Windows. In this particular use case Windows is easily outperforms both Linux and FreeBSD since WINE lacks the required APIs. As a freelance engineer you might get by avoiding contracts which require Solid Edge, but you're not going to convince a major company to port everything over to FreeCAD so that you can run Linux instead of the company provided Windows volume license.

You know, I used to be a lot like you; Linux was the swiss army knife that could do almost everything better. Then I encountered a corner case and realized how large it was. Trust me, the path you're on leads to either fanboyism or realism. Choose wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      There's no performance related task where Linux will fail against FreeBSD or Windows.
      How much do you want to bet on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
        You know, I used to be a lot like you; Linux was the swiss army knife that could do almost everything better. Then I encountered a corner case and realized how large it was. Trust me, the path you're on leads to either fanboyism or realism. Choose wisely.
        Careful, stating facts will label you as a "Windows fanboy" or "FreeBSD fanboy" or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Careful, stating facts will label you as a "Windows fanboy" or "FreeBSD fanboy" or whatever.
          I don't see any value added in the previous two comments; should've let it stay at what Djhg2000 posted, IMHO.
          Too much noise to sift through without having to dodge random, empty, cynical jabs.

Comment

Originally posted by azdaha View Post
            I don't see any value added in the previous two comments
            Actually the first comment has immense value: it calls him out for the bullshit he spews.

Comment

Working...
            X