Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Complete Look At Spectre V1/V2/V4 & Meltdown

Phoronix: A Complete Look At Spectre V1/V2/V4 & Meltdown

Canonical's Engineering Tech Lead, Gavin Guo, has passed along a big slide deck on a presentation he is preparing about the Spectre and Meltdown CPU vulnerabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you Gavin and Michael! This is very interesting and understandable information is hard to find.

Edit: But what surprises me a lot is to put the slides behind the login of a "social"-or probably more asocial network when you like to read them offline in a reasonable quality. I would consider much different behavior of someone who is working in an open source environment.
    Last edited by oooverclocker; 17 June 2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
      But what surprises me a lot is to put the slides behind the login of a "social"-or probably more asocial network when you like to read them offline in a reasonable quality.
      Maybe it's because there is a YouTube video in one of the slides.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
        Thank you Gavin and Michael! This is very interesting and understandable information is hard to find.

Edit: But what surprises me a lot is to put the slides behind the login of a "social"-or probably more asocial network when you like to read them offline in a reasonable quality. I would consider much different behavior of someone who is working in an open source environment.
        Yes, slideshare sucks, they try to force you to have an account if you want to read the pdf offline (log in via ... something).
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

For people read 77 page

I have this:
          Code:
          # grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
          /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
          /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass:Vulnerable
          /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
          /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB, IBRS_FW
          I am vulnerable ?
          Last edited by kripteks; 17 June 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kripteks View Post
            For people read 77 page

I have this:
            Code:
            # grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
            /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
            /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass:Vulnerable
            /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
            /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB, IBRS_FW
            I am vulnerable ?
            You need new microcode for full mitigation of v4. Others are good.

Comment

Putting scientific findings behind a paywall should be illegal, including computer science. >_>

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                Putting scientific findings behind a paywall should be illegal, including computer science. >_>
                I'm ok with it as long as it has affordable pricing. Someone has to pay for the research and/or the peer review.

For example you can find all sorts of insane bs on arxiv (not peer reviewed), and I'd rather not have to spend my time checking for bs when I'm looking for scientific info.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 17 June 2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

You need new microcode for full mitigation of v4. Others are good.
                  I have already 20180425 microcode, my cpu Coffee Lake gen 8
                  dmesg: microcode updated early to revision 0x84, date = 2018-01-21
                  using kernel 4.18-rc1

What i can ?
                  Flash motherboard is necessary ?

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't notice that to read the slide needs to log in to the slideshare.com.

This is the slide pdf for people to download:

This is the page with the topic on 2018 Linux Conference, the slide can also be downloaded here:

This is the youtube video for people can understand Chinese:

主題分享:深入 Spectre V2 - VM 如何攻擊 Host?- (Gavin Guo)
                    Speaker: Gavin GuoLicense: CC-BYNotes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AdzhWGgZli6RtCgoNBrVKL7aISTsL7WKdoARReH7gnk/edit?usp=sharingEvent: https://www.fac...

We have a facebook club to discuss and share about the kernel materials, please join us:

Taiwan Linux Kernel Hackers
                    有鑑於 Linux Kernel 的高度複雜。本討論區提供從業人員,或有興趣的開發者以開放的心胸,盡興的交換知識,增長知識。 由於 Facebook 的瀏覽模式,無法做很有系統的知識管理。為方便定期的整理,並有效率的討論技術細節,完整目錄見以下網頁: https://hackmd.io/c/Hkhqgrr1Z 社團設有mailing list group,請加入mailing list...

Comment

Working...
                    X