X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ikey_solus
    replied
    Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    My biggest issue with Solus is the lack of VNC and Virtual Machine clients.
    ...? We have VirtualBox, Qemu, various spice bits, GNOME Boxes, virt-manager on the VM front alone. On the VNC front there is Vinagre,
    gtk-vnc, etc. Search for rdp + vnc in the repos.

Leave a comment:

• ikey_solus
    replied
    Originally posted by monraaf View Post

RPM does it already:

> https://www.suse.com/documentation/s...tml#sec.system

It constantly blows my mind why Solus never bothers to make any research before boasting they have invented something new.
    Unfortunately for you in this case, I've done more research than yourself on the matter. You'll also note that at no point do I claim to have invented "something new".
    In fact, the project page explicitly says "lets reinvent PNP".

Now, for the examples you give about RPM, yes, RPM supports modalias in the metadata. Currently openSUSE and ELRepo seem to be the only active places
    where modaliases are used, and even then they cannot agree how the modalias information should be expressed between various RPM implementations.
    RPM itself has absolutely no support for hardware detection or automatic installation of drivers.

Instead, libzypp has a poor mans recursion system to find matching modaliases with no understanding of the devices, their composition, capabilities, and will never be
    able to support hotplugging. See: https://github.com/openSUSE/libzypp/...as/Modalias.cc

In essence it is absolutely no different to the various Jockey forks in the world, and is incredibly limited.

I've already been working with folks in the RPM world to ensure LDM is usable anywhere, as demonstrated here where CentOS repo and dnf are used to expose the RPM modaliases Provides to LDM for tracking packages: https://twitter.com/ufee1dead/status/957531959420510208 - note that Fedora doesn't yet expose any modaliases at all and can only do detection via gnome-software/appstream right now.

I'm hopeful this will change soon - with LDM now already being in Fedora repos: http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/r...anagement.git/

Long story short, we can all work on the same thing and provide common functionality to all distros, without being concerned about the current crop of implementations.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    no, he pointed you that rpm packages have metadata telling which hardware it drives and those packages are installed automatically when hardware is plugged in
    ok I have questions - Would a RPM packages for libratbag / piper would be auto installed when plugging in a supported gaming mouse? or does the package manager show "hey, you can install these things to make the most of your new hardware".

how does it handle the scenario where for example you have a gaming mouse covered by more than 1 piece of config software?

as someone who does not know much about RPMs (i am assuming lots has changed over the last 20 years since using them), is this information fully/partially populated? is it used?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post
    so, let me get this straight with an analogy. you just pointed to a "rolling chassis" and said "hey look, we already have a car!".
    no, he pointed you that rpm packages have metadata telling which hardware it drives and those packages are installed automatically when hardware is plugged in

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by STiAT View Post
    Having no real preference for either C or C++, I do not see of which c++ features this tool could benefit...
    i guess you don't really know c++ then

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post
    If i plug a new device in and it needs drivers, my OS should tell me, I shouldn't need to hunt down arcane incantations for the terminal from some wiki.
    i'm pretty sure that when i plugged in printer, fedora installed its drivers automatically, so at least for some devices it was working long ago. fedora already comes with videodrivers installed and i don't have fancy mouse to check what will happen if i plug it in

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by monraaf View Post

RPM does it already:

> https://www.suse.com/documentation/s...tml#sec.system

It constantly blows my mind why Solus never bothers to make any research before boasting they have invented something new.
    so, let me get this straight with an analogy. you just pointed to a "rolling chassis" and said "hey look, we already have a car!".

This is mainly for a User Experience thing as far as I can tell. "Oh look, new hardware, looks like you could use some of these packages to use/configure it".

It looks like a nice addition that could be included easily by other distro's to suggest hardware specific software

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    My biggest issue with Solus is the lack of VNC and Virtual Machine clients.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
    Solus is doing things that should have been done by major distros with resources like Ubuntu years ago. I like how solus doesn't polarize the community I wish Ubuntu had this simple sense.
    Solus was my distro of choice for a while, but I had two main gripes with it.

It took forever for Xorg 1.19 to be included in the default repos. According to a post, a developer had a problem with it on a multi-GPU laptop, but also said they didn't look into it any further than that and provided no further details aside from it wouldn't boot. I've used a few AMD/AMD and Intel/NVIDIA laptops with Xorg 1.19 for months without issue, so I can't really think what the problem could be. But in any case, I think Solus has Xorg 1.19 as of last month...

There's also no Wine Staging in default repos (it was there, but for some reason it was switched back to regular Wine abruptly; this was back before regular Wine had CSMT). And due to their policies, both regular Wine and Staging couldn't exist in the default repos. Iirc, the change was said to be because of users complaining that Staging had more bugs than regular, but I couldn't find any posts like that at the time.

Leave a comment:

• STiAT
    replied
    Originally posted by kalin View Post

Thanks for your effort. I really appreciate it. I just have questions. What is the reason to use glib and c language ? From what I can see You really prefer c over c++ for your tools.
    Is that caused by reason or just You feel more comfortable with c
    Hmh, he prefers C over C++, and often said that in the past. He is using C++ for new budgie though, and golang for ferryd.

Having no real preference for either C or C++, I do not see of which c++ features this tool could benefit...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X